• UP 844 as 8444

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Septa3371CSX

After checking the forum for this question I noticed it wasn't in here. So I will ask it. Why was Union Pacific steamer 844 numbered 8444 for several years? Was it to make room for other locomotives or was it renumbered maybe for a special occassion and took awhile to revert back to 844? Thank you!

by John_Perkowski

http://www.upsteam.com/844history.html#844history

"Many people know the engine as the No. 8444, since an extra '4' was added to its number in 1962 to distinguish it from a diesel numbered in the 800 series. The steam engine regained its rightful number in June 1989, after the diesel was retired."

844 (2d) was a GP-30. She spent some time in the late 1970s early 80s IIRC serving the 1st subdivision of the Kansas Division. I saw her working the elevators at Abilene, KS regularly.

844 (2d) is now in Boulder City, NV at the Nevada Railroad Museum (not to be confused with the Nevada State RR Museum in Carson City).

John Perkowski