• Unusual destination

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by HokieNav

Taken last Friday during the evening rush - there were trains stacked up going west, with this unusual guy in the middle. Every once in a while I see a train with a messed up destination like this (fortunately I had a camera with me this time), how does that happen?
  by Sand Box John

quote="HokieNav"
Taken last Friday during the evening rush - there were trains stacked up going west, with this unusual guy in the middle. Every once in a while I see a train with a messed up destination like this (fortunately I had a camera with me this time), how does that happen?

I answered a question similar to this a couple of day ago that appeared in one the MetroRider.org forums.

"I got on metrorail at the crystal city station on Tuesday (7/21), at approx 4:05 PM, and boarded rail car #6012 headed toward downtown. The train had come into the station displaying "blue," Mt Vernon. I thought that odd. The train just before was a blue line going to Largo.
I got onto the train anyway. It did go downtown and I got off at L'Enfant where I wanted to go.

I just thought it very odd that the color of the line and the destination were out of sync. Has anyone else experienced anything similarly enigmatic?"

My response:

Likely what happened was the Largo destination was changed to Mount Vernon Square in route because of some problem along the C and D Routes between Rosslyn and Stadium-Armory. For your information the table of destination codes has a Blue line code for Mount Vernon Square, it is 38.

Other codes not used normally:
19 New Carrollton Blue
21 Huntington Blue
24 Greenbelt Yellow
26 Franconia-Springfield Yellow
30 Stadium/Armory Yellow
32 Rosslyn Yellow
39 Franconia-Springfield Green
40 U Street Blue
47 National Airport Green
48 Huntington Green
55 Addison Road Orange
67 Fort Totten (lower) Blue
71 Greenbelt Blue
73 Largo Orange

Another possibility is, the above mentioned train departed Springfield-Franconia displaying a Blue Mount Vernon Square destination.

I will note Rosslyn has destination codes for Orange 18, Blue 56 and Yellow 32 as mentioned above.

Upon arriving at Rosslyn the train either headed south and relayed at Arlington Cemetery to make the return trip to New Carrollton or returned to New Carrollton on the same track and crossed over at Foggy Bottom. Because you stated that trains were stacked up heading west that train more then likely relayed at Arlington Cemetery.