• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by atsf sp

P40 817 was second unit on 449 last night.
  by ryanov

Beech Grove was on 98(12).
  by jcepler1

The 40th Anniversary Exhibit train was being parked on Track 30 at Washington Union Station this morning. Presumably it is easier to hook it up to the back of a train, haul it up to Washington, then bring it back down to the next place than it would be to pay to store it in a freight yard.
  by MEC407

GP38H-3 #525 a long way from its usual home: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2923391
  by Tadman

Do those even have HEP anymore? I remember when they were fixtures on midwest corridor trains, especially the Pere Marquette and Hiawathas. That was back in the day when a 2-car PM or Hi was a busy day, and the automat was still running summers on the PM. That was also the time we weren't sure if the PM was going to make it next year...
  by MEC407

Yup, there is an HEP genset located at the rear of the locomotive. A few days ago when I saw the 525 at Portland, I could hear/see/smell the HEP motor running.
  by airman00

I was traveling yesterday in Jersey City, NJ along route 1/9 and spotted 2 amtrak work engines (gp20b switchers?) with a string of open hopper cars with ballast? Didn't catch the numbers but they were idling as the trailing unit had it's red marker lights on. They were right near an old brick building that had "Pennslyvania railroad substation 3" inscribed on it. The tracks they were working on cross over Croxton yard in jersey city? :)
  by Tadman

A little show from Beech Grove, shot early last week:

On the north side:
Ex-VRE F40s and Gennies on flats:

Look in the shed, you can see the F59 from last year's accident:

On the south side:
One Comet car

Many other comets
  by AMTKHawkeye

Regarding Tadman's picture a few posts above (unable to link to the picture)...

Engine 187 (pictured on the flat car) was the lead unit in last year's accident in Slidell, LA where the eastbound Crescent hit a flatbed hung up on a rural crossing carrying a military vehicle shell. The trailing unit on that train was engine 80 - might that be the second unit shown on a flat car?
  by Tadman

If you zoom in as far as possible, it appears it might be 80. They're parked pretty far behind the fence, which means the camera is at full-zoom when I take these pics. Beech is quite a large facility.
  by CNJGeep

Pacific Something & Beech Grove are tucked behind the motor on 43, 2/29/12
  by Train538

HHP-8 658 went by Southport, CT on the New Haven Line/Northeast Corridor bound for NYC around 11:50 PM EDT. He's runnin' lite!
  by ThirdRail7

Here is something you don't see everyday: train 68 is operating to New York with a P40.
  by MEC407

FORD: "Found On Railroad Destroyed"

(Photo by Peter Lewis; credit to Joseph C. Hinson for coming up with the Ford acronym)