• Twin Oaks, PA railyard

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by kieran

I ordered a new car a few months ago, and just received an email that my car is in the CSX Twin Oaks rail yard.

I've driven by this yard many times when I'm on I-95 and there seems to be a ton of space in there.

Anyone know how often trains come in there with cars? Also, how long does it usually take a car to get out of that yard? (Mind you, by "car" I mean "automobile."

I thought it was awesome that my car came from Michigan to PA on a train. Glad to see that shipping by train is still a viable option.
  by mmi16

There is normally one train of 40 to 90 auto racks that arrives Twin Oaks daily. Normal operations have the racks that were placed for unloading in the morning, being emptied of automobiles and pulled in the evening for dispatching on a empty rack train.

How long automobiles are on the ground within the facility until they are dispatched to automobile dealers is a whole nother logistics area that I have no familiarity with.
  by kieran

Meant to reply to this thread, but but caught up in the excitement.

Car was delivered to my dealer in Springfield on Tuesday. Guess they went and picked it right up.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Kieran, although my current buggy and I have been together for almost six years, and with a year of warranty remaining and only 50K on the clock nothing is about to happen anytime soon, the salesman showed me the shipping documents and its routing from Portland to Chicago over the BNSF.

The auto has been on Auto Train for three trips in its life; but I guess its maiden sea voyage from Toyota City and rail journey on BNSF topped them all.