• Turtle Bend - Russell MA?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by nydepot

Anyone know where this location is on the NYC. It's supposedly TT west of Russell. Thanks.

Charles
  by Pat Fahey

Hi Charles
I am going to try to answer your question , Turtle bend is named because of the S-curves on the railroad . The S-curves began East of Russsell , and they do have a 35 mph restriction . The curves , got their name because of Turtle Mountain which is located in Russell, Mass. If you Google ,,, turtle bend on the B&A RR Russell Massachusetts , some pictures will come up . Russell is at milepost on the railroad 115.4 . Attached is photo off web. Pat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by edbear

An eastbound mail and express train piled up on the curve about 1960.
  by Pat Fahey

HI EdBear
I found and accident report of a train wreck that happened in the town of Woronoco, Mass , August 18, 1955 , and it did involve a passenger train , maybe this is the one you did mention ??? I found the report on this site , http://www.northeast.railfan.net .
  by edbear

No. It was about 1960.
  by Pat Fahey

Hi Edbear
The only one I could find was , the one I told you about , I checked the site again from 1956 to 1970 , could not find anything . Pat.