• Troubles on train 1165...

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ryanov

I am starting to really feel sorry for the regular commuters on train 1165, the 6:42 departure from SEC (6:50 from Rutherford). I rode on it yesterday night and tonight.

Last night, it was a four-car consist (down from six). I rode from SEC to Rutherford. The conductor apologized for the overcrowding, explaining a problem had developed with the 6-car consist and they were forced to take that one.

Tonight, the train was not able to draw traction power and when the brakes were released, the train rolled backward (I got on at Rutherford, riding to Radburn this time). The engineer eventually was able to get the train moving, but not until we had blocked the grade crossing for at least 5 mins, maybe longer. I felt like it was door lights, from the NEC, but then I remembered these older cars are pretty lax with that stuff. Anyway, shortly after departing Rutherford, we lost HEP. They messed with it for a little while, but eventually they announced (by Plauderville) that it was a lost cause. It started to get hot in the train, but luckily I was getting off soon.

At Radburn, I got off... but as I was walking off to the car, the train started to take off with people halfway between the train and the ground, with at least 10 people still waiting at each door. The trainmen scurried around to signal a stop, and then the train stopped. It then started AGAIN before people were off, and the train stopped and sat... all of the crewmen got off, and eventually there were some men standing outside the engine (4205) as well.

Does anyone know what was going on? It was pretty screwed up, and the passengers were pretty annoyed by that point already. I didn't hear anyone give the engineer two to go, and I did hear him get buzzed to stop... very odd.

Interestingly enough, on 1172, my train also took off outta Rutherford with someone on the platform who was just about to get on (he ended up jumping or grabbing his way onto the departing train). I've never seen so much of this in one day.

by mcmannors

On Wednesday and Thursday, a few trains on the RVL lost traction power as well. The dispatcher even wanted to send one (train 5713 on Thursday) **UP THE MOUNTAIN**, even though on level ground it couldn't exceed 50 mph. Common sense finally prevailed, and they transferred the "mountain" passengers to a waiting 5449 at Raritan, who actually passed 5713 earlier at Fanwod on Track 2!

Aside from that, the diesels seem to be dropping like flies recently. And it's not limited to any one type of engine. F-40's, GP-40's, and the "covered wagons" (4130's) have all been involved. Either all of these engines are ready for the scrap pile, or the mechanical department "doesn't know their ass from their elbow".

by Jtgshu

Mc, I think the latter is what is the case....................

There was also an eastbound RVL train that crapped out at Newark Penn on Tuesday I think it was. Another RVL eastbound was coming in, so they coupled up and shoved the whole train to Hudson yard. This was the day when Dock was having all those switch adn signal problems and they weren't too thrilled about the whole situation.
Last edited by Jtgshu on Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

by ryanov

Jtgshu wrote:Mc, I think the ladder is what is the case....................
Puzzled over this one for awhile and finally realized you meant LATTER. Heh.

by Jtgshu

uuuuuhhhhh, yea, i did that on purpose to make sure everyone was awake...

Ryanov, you get the gold star for the day!!!

:D

by AKelley728

mcmannors wrote:Aside from that, the diesels seem to be dropping like flies recently. And it's not limited to any one type of engine. F-40's, GP-40's, and the "covered wagons" (4130's) have all been involved. Either all of these engines are ready for the scrap pile, or the mechanical department "doesn't know their ass from their elbow".
Sounds like the PL42ACs can't come fast enough! Is it possible that the MMC is deferring maintenance on the diesels since the new once are supposed to start coming by the end of the year?

by Jtgshu

Nah, they've been deferring maintence since these units arrived........... :D

Probably though, it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't doing everything they need to with these engines goign to be retired, especially the FH's, a few of them have been crapping out on the Shuttle and at newark Penn on Raritan trains lately.......

How the CNJ units doing lately? they probably NEVER had proper maintence, because im sure the CNJ didn't (couldn't) give it to them........

by thebigc

Jtgshu wrote: How the CNJ units doing lately? they probably NEVER had proper maintence, because im sure the CNJ didn't (couldn't) give it to them........
Ours at Port Morris are doing just fine, thank you. One of our geeps had some blended brake issues last week but we usually have more Comet trouble than GP40 trouble.

And the E-Port people made chicken soup out of chicken feathers for years. They could fix anything.

by njt4172

BigC,

Is it possible that the mechanical forces at Hoboken know what they are doing more so then the ones at MMC? Does that diesel facility in Hoboken maintain engines as well??

by thebigc

It seems that the more senior, knowledgable personnel in most crafts gravitate to the outlying terminals; i.e. places other than the MMC. There are some good people at the MMC but also far too many loads. Add in the typical oppressive NJT lower and middle management and the result is an underachieving facility.

The Hoboken enginehouse is for typical running repairs, much like Raritan. All the heavy stuff goes to the MMC.