• Trolley Tracks outside of Hoboken Terminal

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by carajul

When was the last time the trolley tracks in the cobble stone street outside of the Hoboken terminal saw a train/trolley pass over them? I'm guessing the 1940s but don't know for sure...

by CarterB

Interesting that it was as late as 1949. I thought everything pretty much had come to a halt circa 1938. Anyone know where the trolleys ran to as late as 1949?

by JimBoylan

The citation is not clear whether 1949 refers to the last trolleys on the street tracks, as well as on the elevated tracks overhead. The El was used until 1949, and then soon torn down.

by pdman

I remember one up to Caldwell as late as 1949.

by Rich T

1949 was when the elevated lines in Hoboken were discontinued.
Photos show overhead wire over those surviving street tracks in the 1930's but there doesn't appear to have been regular service near the end. The only photos of cars on those two tracks I've seen were very early 20th Century, and they were trolley post offices.
The Hoboken street cars used the trackage under the elevated, including the surviving loop, until about 1938. Most, if not all, of this trackage may still exist under the bus terminal pavement.

by SemperFidelis

The 29 - Bloomfield Avenue Line ran into Caldwell (via the City Subway) until 1952 (April if I recall correctly).

My father and grandfather (trolley driver for PS and NJT) were on the last run. Most of the tracks were simply paved and remain in the pavement. You can see them during major repaving projects.