• Trolley Track Removal on NJ-71 in Neptune

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by transit383

Beneath Route NJ-71 are buried trolley tracks that were paved over after the trolley system in the area stopped running. The tracks now are finally exposed again, but for the last time, as work crews are currently ripping out these buried tracks. The two northbound lanes of Route NJ-71 are closed between mileposts 7.6 to 7.9 and the two southbound lanes have been converted to one north and one south during the duration of the prjoect. I stopped by yesterday to snap a few photos of these pieces of railroad history. I share them with you:

Trolley Track Removal I

Trolley Track Removal II

Trolley Track Removal III

Trolley Track Removal IV

Trolley Track Removal V

by BlockLine_4111

I wonder if any "Tri-Staters" knew of this and were able to salvage a piece or so (like some may have done when the building in Montclair was demo'd on Bloomfield Ave. not too long ago).

Good coverage of the 'dig' there 383.

4111 :wink:

by msernak

I guess the tracks are suddenly in the way???

by PRRTechFan

msernak wrote:
I guess the tracks are suddenly in the way???
Perhaps, in a way... Route 71 is a state highway (...and Rt. 71 is one of the most poorly maintained state highways...) so the New Jersey Department of Transportation has various specifications and standards when it comes to repairing and repaving the road. The recent trend is to "mill" or grind off the topmost layer(s) of the most worn and uneven pavement until the base is smooth, the milling can take off several inches; then pave over it to the original level and grade; then they don't have to raise manholes.

When Route 71 was originally built, it was most likely a concrete road which has been subsequently repaved; the concrete beneath may be deteriorating, especially at joints. If the rails were imbedded in the concrete, this may have further weakened the concrete over time.

Now while I took a shot at NJDOT for neglecting Route 71 (...over other state highways...), I will give them credit and say that when they re-do a road, they usually do it completely and correctly the first time. That is probably why the buried rails were torn up. A second reason may be that a utility is looking to install new service down Route 71, and the least unoccupied spot is under the old rails; to expedite the installation of water, sewer, gas, electric, telephone, whatever; it would be faster to rip it all out now; expecially if the entire road is also being resurfaced.

by cjvrr

Doesn't look like there is any concrete road underneath there to me. I could be wrong. It does however look like they hit the sub base of the road when they milled. Lots of large crushed stone in the milled surface usually means you milled all the way through the asphalt.

I also don't see any wooden railroad ties being removed. I would think that some would still exist having been sealed in the road for decades.

One very good reason to remove the rails...they can ruin the milling machine. When future resurfacings occur, if the contractor isn't told they are there, the milling machine will hit the rail and knock off its teeth, or break the wheel. In Morris County we had that happen on Main Street in Wharton. We ended up leaving the rail because it is embedded in a concrete road. Machine was down for a day or two due to broken teeth. Would have caused extensive delays to remove the rail.

As another posted said it makes it easier for utility companies to install their facilities too. Also removes the difficulty of having to cut the rail when installing road crossings for individual gas, water, sewer connections to abutting properties.

by steemtrayn

I lived in Neptune in the "80's when Rt 71 was redone through Bradley Beach. The rails were being removed there, and at night scavengers with piccup trucks were gathering up bricks from the old road surface. No concrete pavement in that section.

by BlockLine_4111

What is the date-n-weight of these unearth'd "sticks"?

by joe k

IT LOOKS LIKE IN THE NEPTUNE PHOTOS THE RAIL IS ABOUT 60lb??

I REMEMBER AS A KID AROUND 1965 DRIVING THRU SPRINGFIELD / CHATHAM TO CONNECT WITH THE GARDEN STATE PARKWAY THE OLD TROLLY TRACKS STILL VISABLE ALONG ROUTE 24........HAVE THOSE RAILS BEEN REMOVED TOO?

by JimBoylan

Looks like some splinters of old ties in photo 4. DOT may be doing a complete removal and replacement of all the paving and subpaving. That alone would cause removal of the track. It looks like girder rail, which is quite heavy, well over 100 pounds per yard.