• Trash train thru Poughkeepsie?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Rockingham Racer

I've been at a workshop at Marist College for several days. Sunday nite, around 8 PM, what appeared to be a southbound trash train went by the campus, pulled by two units (type unknown). I thought trash was only on the River Line, across the river. What's up? And anybody have a symbol for this train?

by Otto Vondrak

You sir have witnessed the passage of train K-282, and most likely it was either pulled by two SD40-2's or two B-36's (5800 series). K-282 runs down the Hudson Line Saturdays and Sundays, and is called as needed, if I recall correctly. This train goes down to the trash handling facility at Harlem River Yard.

-otto-

by trainfreak

There also is K277. K277 is the northbound loaded trash train from Oak Point that goes north then south down the Riverline to points south.

by Rockingham Racer

Thanks for that info. Where, though, is the Harlem River Yard? Is it near the new M-N storage facility in Highbridge?

Some people here have also asked me: where does the garbage go?
I believe some of it goes as far as Buffalo (and beyond?), since a trash train got bottled up in some yard in Buffalo months back, if I remember correctly. So, where does all this stuff end up?

by trainfreak

After taking a look at bullsheet.com's listing of the K277
http://www.bullsheet.com/schedules/Show ... eries=K200 it says here that its destination is Florence, South Carolina. Where it goes from there i dont know.

by Otto Vondrak

Harlem River Yard has absolutely nothing to do with Metro-North at all. It is a former New Haven freight yard located along the Harlem River, rigth near the Triboro Bridge and the elevated Hell Gate Line. Trains use the Oak Point Link to get from Harlem River to CP 8 on MN's Hudson Line.

-otto-