• Transsiberian

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Vincent

If you've ever complained about Amtrak's equipment or employees, I suggest you go to your local DVD store on Tuesday, November 4th and check out the movie Transsiberian. I highly recommend this film to any railfan. The plot involves an American couple who have just finished a church mission in China and they are returning to the USA via the Trans-Siberian Express. Unwittingly, the couple (Woody Harrelson and Emily Mortimer) becomes involved in a drug smuggling operation and they end up being chased by the smugglers and an ex-KGB agent, played by Ben Kingsley. OK, it's not the greatest plot, but the husband is a genuine foamer and he is having a great time, even if his wife can't quite share his love of Russian railroading. I don't want to give away the ending, but if Woody can't figure out how to apply his train sim experience to a real live Russian locomotive, it's going to be bad times for the good guys. The real star of the film, however, is the Trans-Siberian Express and the scenery. And I guarantee you'll never again complain about a beat up Amfleet or a cranky sleeping car attendant once you've seen Transsiberian.

Transsiberian website: http://www.firstlookstudios.com/films/transsiberian/
  by george matthews

I believe the Trans-Siberian trains tend to be on time. And the line is double tracked and electrified the whole way.
  by Tadman

I'm guessing the state of the Russian railroads is sensationalized for dramatic purposes. Although I want to see the movie, I'm more interested in a first person comparison between an American LD and Russian LD rather than a movie with creative license. Besides, I take #3/4 once every month or two, and it's not that bad due to BNSF competency.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Oh well, before this material gets shipped off to Mr. Audley's Railroads in Media Forum, may as well review this:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2246508825

Well, I've now seen enough until the flick makes rounds on either HoBO or Starz (maybe, just maybe, I'd pop for Comcast PPV).

Wonder what kind of market there would be for a "luxotrain'?
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by george matthews

Tadman wrote:I'm guessing the state of the Russian railroads is sensationalized for dramatic purposes. Although I want to see the movie, I'm more interested in a first person comparison between an American LD and Russian LD rather than a movie with creative license. Besides, I take #3/4 once every month or two, and it's not that bad due to BNSF competency.
I hear the trains are much improved since Soviet times.
  by Otto Vondrak

[Not really related to Amtrak, moved to Worldwide Railfan - omv]
  by Vincent

I don't know if the film will be avaailable worldwide on November 4th, but at least the thread found a good landing spot. If you do rent the film, don't expect The French Connection. The plot is standard TV crime drama stuff-- but the writer, director or producer is an obvious railfan and it shows in the filming. Woody Harrelson's character is fascinated by old steam engines, the change of gauge from China to Russia and the chance to apply his simulator experience in the real world. Non-railfans will likely rate this film 3 Stars, railfans will be 5 Star happy. I'll be watching the deleted scenes and commentary tracks on the DVD, just to hear about the railroading,

Oh, and which way is the diner?