• Transit Ridership

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BandA

Yes, especially commuter rail. But problems already existed before the Covid19 https://railroad.net/massachusetts-taxp ... 73517.html and the "T" is backstopped by the state government which theoretically has to balance their budget unlike the feds who just print more.

Nobody has accurate figures on how many workers will return to urban offices. And empty office space is not going to be allowed to remain empty for more than a few years, unlike some 19th century mill buildings that stand empty for decades....
  by Red Wing

I wonder if the gutting is because of lack of drivers? I received an email today from the RMV telling me that since I have a Class B CDL with passenger endorsement, I should apply to work for the T.
  by CRail

The routes have been targeted for outsourcing, not for abandonment. Had Baker been successful, today's problem would undoubtedly be far worse!
  by scratchyX1

Red Wing wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:41 pm I wonder if the gutting is because of lack of drivers? I received an email today from the RMV telling me that since I have a Class B CDL with passenger endorsement, I should apply to work for the T.
It's been an issue across the continent, bus drivers leaving for less stressful jobs, as the pandemic has brought out the worse in riders.
  by R36 Combine Coach

CRail wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:43 pm The routes have been targeted for outsourcing, not for abandonment.
For instance, NJT outsources many routes to private carriers. A recent fraud scandal involving Academy
on billing for runs not performed illustrates the issues between the agency and outside carriers on contract.
  by mbrproductions

I wonder why Commuter Rail ridership has been falling for the last decade? Is there a theoretical way to fix this?
  by Pensyfan19

Increase taxes for car ownership (gas and parking) and use the revenue to fund commuter rail service to new and existing towns. Or just as effective: have the private sector fund and operate these services so this way they can provide better services for a lower price.
  by scratchyX1

Or rather, realign the service to Regional Rail (which means haggling with Class 1s, and not getting conned to upgrade freight lines without substantial passenger improvement, like in Illinois).
And have a mix of private and public, like brightline/florida agencies.
https://www.governing.com/community/com ... ture-costs
  by charlesriverbranch

Pensyfan19 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:30 pm Or just as effective: have the private sector fund and operate these services so this way they can provide better services for a lower price.
Do you mean a company like Keolis?
  by Trinnau

MBTA still funds the service. And having a private company fund means they have to make money. The T doesn't have to. Moving passengers by rail is not a lucrative business in the US, there's a reason the Class 1's got out of the game and the states fund the service.
mbrproductions wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:48 pm I wonder why Commuter Rail ridership has been falling for the last decade? Is there a theoretical way to fix this?
Ridership was actually up significantly pre-COVID. MBTA was bursting at the seems running more maxed out trains than ever. They went so far as to ship 10 retired MBBs out for 1-year overhauls as a stopgap and sole-source 80 new bi-level coaches. They had more coaches and more bi-levels in service than at any point prior. The "decline" was artificial because passenger counts were inflated earlier in the decade - with the people doing the counting having a direct benefit from overcounting. The counting done now is more accurate and is supported by technology.
  by Red Wing

scratchyX1 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:30 pm Or rather, realign the service to Regional Rail (which means haggling with Class 1s, and not getting conned to upgrade freight lines without substantial passenger improvement, like in Illinois).
Why would the T have to do this if they or the state own just about everything they run on?
  by mbrproductions

Trinnau wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:14 pm MBTA still funds the service. And having a private company fund means they have to make money. The T doesn't have to. Moving passengers by rail is not a lucrative business in the US, there's a reason the Class 1's got out of the game and the states fund the service.
mbrproductions wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:48 pm I wonder why Commuter Rail ridership has been falling for the last decade? Is there a theoretical way to fix this?
Ridership was actually up significantly pre-COVID. MBTA was bursting at the seems running more maxed out trains than ever. They went so far as to ship 10 retired MBBs out for 1-year overhauls as a stopgap and sole-source 80 new bi-level coaches. They had more coaches and more bi-levels in service than at any point prior. The "decline" was artificial because passenger counts were inflated earlier in the decade - with the people doing the counting having a direct benefit from overcounting. The counting done now is more accurate and is supported by technology.
I guess I never thought that the numbers would have been faked lol, thanks for the insight!