• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lvrr325

Didn't CSX spend months running test trains of empty containers on this same line to prove to one of the shipping outfits they could maintain the schedule between Albany and the terminal up north?
  by tree68

Per radio traffic today: One military train out of Drum this morning, another coming of the post this afternoon. I think I heard mention of KCS power in the discussions somewhere...
  by nickstowell

tree68 wrote:Per radio traffic today: One military train out of Drum this morning, another coming of the post this afternoon. I think I heard mention of KCS power in the discussions somewhere...
W869 passed by lacona at 7:30 with empty DODX flats leading with KCS units.
  by lvrr325

I begin to think CSX has lost their minds.

Northbound went up, single engine, maybe 75 wells with about a dozen loaded and a touch over 30 freight cars on the rear, which is fairly typical.

But instead of a 4000-HP new GE, the power was one 2600-series GP38-2.

I expected him to stall just on the first grade, but somehow he got it up and moving at close to track speed.
  by lvrr325

A rail train went up this afternoon with a big GE long hood forward. Just rail cars and unloader plus a piece of track equipment, no caboose or old boxcars with it.

This evening two GEs went up light.
  by lvrr325

Northbound going up just now has an ex-HELM or HATX blue and purple leaser trailing with blue ovals on the side of the hood, could not make out the lettering, looked like it was renumbered 306 but I may have that wrong too. Maybe a Vermont Railway unit for the New York & Ogdensburg?
  by joha107

Former HLCX leaser, but it is owned by Vermont Rail now, it is VTR 205, it has now been given NY&O logos and assigned to the NY&O to replace NYOG 14 due to increasing business. It will be working with VTR 801 on the NY&O.
  by Bigt

Glad to hear about increased business for the NY&O. There is certainly potential
for that line, and, the area in general. I wonder if this will mean an increase in
employment on the line?
  by lvrr325

CN 5413, ex-IC SD70, second unit going north at 11:45 am.

I did look through pictures of the VTR units online to see they had a couple in the leaser paint but neither one quite matched what I remembered seeing. I think they added a light blue patch on the cab side as well.