Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

by pjb

:-)
I think the time has come for the tourist and museum steam operators
to set up a program for training loco crews. If they don't the FRA or
a state equivalent will show up and mandate some programmed form
of training - and, candidly I think they should if the educational and
entertainment sector (which is what steam operators are today)
won't do so.

The recent failure (Heavener, Texas on KCS, August 26) of five
out of six fused plugs in the firebox of SP 745, indicates the time has come. The loco had (working) injectors and feedwater pump at
the time that were not used by the crew.

In fact they didn't know what happened when all the steam went
out with a rush and the loco failed on the road when asked about
it even an hour after the fact.

The most obvious thing was that the machine was well maintained
and serviced. Just as obvious is that they were damned lucky the
firebox sheet hadn't been torn apart by the failure of it, and they
all were around to wonder about the experiences of the evening.
I don't believe, it has to be a government agency certifying
crews, and perhaps Hartford Boiler can be payed to run such
a program to be funded by industry entitities.

They invented boiler safety programs and inspection in this
country, when no agency was responsible for keeping life
and treasure safe in steam transport and the workplace
(mostly steamboats and factories initially), and did it well.
The Tourist Railway Association and the Railroad Museums
are holding a joint convention where this should be put on
the agenda.
If the charitable industry that runs steam loco powered trains
won't do it, I figure then it is up to the government's steam
safety agencies to do it. Even if they hate the idea, consider
what the cost of insurance to operate locos will go if they
do not. More importantly, we are entitled to safe ops as
consumers.
Good-Luck,
PJB

by mxdata

Those interested in looking over a massive and ongoing string of discussions of this incident will find them at this website, click on the "interchange" link, just work down the column and look for discussions involving LASTA:

http://www.rypn.org

by route_rock

FRA does have rules on steam operations. and so they didnt know what happened one hour after the fact. You ever here the term no comment when talking to reporters.Plus maybe they wanted to know 100% what was wrong so instead of speculating they wanted to know what was really wrong.

First off steam operators that travel over public grade crossings or on main lines must fall under FRA rules and the FRA does have rules for steam programs

by mxdata

This topic has gotten a great deal of discussion lately on some other websites. In addition to the problem of the wide diversity of equipment, one very substantial problem with providing any unified training program for steam operators is the "sue the trainer" mentality that has emerged in recent years as an unfortunate result of ambulance chasing. Any person or agency that would undertake an industry-wide training program for steam operators would probably need as much professional liability insurance as would be needed to do work in the nuclear industry, and would have to keep that insurance coverage until they die. Given the tremendous risk of lawsuits if (or when) an accident might occur, anyone seriously contemplating doing steam training would have to carefully consider what the future effects might be on their family, their property, and their future earning potential.

by route_rock

Stands and applauds. I know a few museums that have steam trainer programs. I dont know if they do the disclaimer route ( ha like that works anymore) but I bet they cross their fingers with every class that they wont get a sue happy person. You want this to stop and see big steam run on main lines? Get on your congress mans rear about tort reform. Until then all we can do is whine.