• Train Salvage Yards in NH?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by nattyv

I've been googling for the past hour without much success. I'm looking to find some contact information for various train service/repair/depot/salvage yards in NH. Anything that would have old trains and cars that have been sitting around for a while. Does anyone know of such a place in NH?
  by merrman

New Hampshire Central in No Stratford is a repair facility, and they also store unused cars on their tracks.
The Hobo RR in Lincoln does car repair and restoration, for use by its own operations (Hobo & Winnipesaukee Scenic)
as well as for private car owners.
Conway Scenic RR does car repair ans restoration for it's own operation.

All of these have various unused cars and equipment around.
  by jaymac

It's been maybe 10 years since I was in the area, so I can't vouch for now, but along Rte. 103 in Warner, not too far from the McDonald's just off I-89, there was a general scrap yard with what looked like a B&M wooden -- yes, just like a full-size Ambroid -- coach. I was always on the way to somewhere, so I never stopped to see if I could confirm origin or grab a number.
  by Scooter

That coach is actually in Sunapee at the junction of Routes 11 and 103.

From the B&M Yahoo Group:

The B&MRR Passenger Equipment Cars Book issued by the Mechanical
Department shows this car as a D&LW Baggage-Smoker, built by Barney
and Smith in 1914. The baggage section was 27 ft long and rated for 9
tons. The smoker section had seats for 42. The car was purchased used
by the B&M and numbered 912 and subsequently renumbered 3633. This
was the car sold to Nelson Blount and displayed at Edaville.
  by jaymac

Scooter-
Thanks!
  by Geeman

In Walpole, across the Connecticut River from Bellows Falls is the end of the line for the Green Mt. RR. They repair cars there, and also store long lines of box cars. There's a plow, some GMRC passenger cars, and a turntable.