• Train movie, "Unstoppable"

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by RussNelson

Hmmm.... a few differences, yes.

I would have filmed it with a big date at the bottom: "May 16, 2001", and had the engineer wake up, go to work, lose control of the train, the rear catch fail, the front catch fail, helicopters, explosions, derails, shooting out the engine block, massive wreck, children dying, dogs dying, wives dying. Then the engineer *really* wakes up, you see a fast rewind, and the date "May 15, 2001" at the bottom, followed by a faithful depiction of the events in Stanley Yard, and the rear catch. Everybody's fine, they part, and the final line from the one engineer to the other is "Sleep tight", with a tight shot on the engineer's wide eyes.

:-)

But you know that I'm going to go see the movie anyway. :-D
  by RedLantern

This trailer looks a lot like that made-for-TV movie "Atomic Train". This makes me wonder how badly they're going to portray actual railroading this time. So what's the problem, the engineer died and Rigor Mortis is causing his hand to repeatedly hit the alerter? Nah, I'll bet it's gonna be that the engineer fell out the door somehow, and that there's no conductors in the passenger car full of kids that just happens to be part of a long freight train that's also carrying hazmats (probably some made up name like "Chemical BX22U" which will kill everybody for thousands of miles around).

So we already see that they have a loaded passenger car in a freight train, and we see that the alerter is nonexistent or non-working. This shows that the producers didn't do much research on the real world, or they decided that nobody cares for accuracy, like they usually do. Obviously since there won't be anybody in the passenger car(s) other than the kids and school chaperons, there won't be anybody left who can figure out that if they dump the air, or at least uncouple the locomotives, that they will slow to a stop rather than consistently speeding up.
  by roadster

Just a quick correction, please note that, on real engines, as the 8888 incident states, the alerter is disabled when the independant brake is applied. Not to say the pic. is hollywoodized to the max.. But just verifying that one issue.
  by spoony1999

RedLantern wrote:This trailer looks a lot like that made-for-TV movie "Atomic Train". This makes me wonder how badly they're going to portray actual railroading this time. So what's the problem, the engineer died and Rigor Mortis is causing his hand to repeatedly hit the alerter? Nah, I'll bet it's gonna be that the engineer fell out the door somehow, and that there's no conductors in the passenger car full of kids that just happens to be part of a long freight train that's also carrying hazmats (probably some made up name like "Chemical BX22U" which will kill everybody for thousands of miles around).

So we already see that they have a loaded passenger car in a freight train, and we see that the alerter is nonexistent or non-working. This shows that the producers didn't do much research on the real world, or they decided that nobody cares for accuracy, like they usually do. Obviously since there won't be anybody in the passenger car(s) other than the kids and school chaperons, there won't be anybody left who can figure out that if they dump the air, or at least uncouple the locomotives, that they will slow to a stop rather than consistently speeding up.
From watching the trailer and doing some reading the kids are on a separate train and not part of the runaway..
  by charlie6017

We really don't need two threads going for the same topic.........see discussion in NY State Forum.

Charlie

Unstoppable