• Train hits abandoned SUV near Neshaminy Falls

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SCB2525

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/0 ... ks-county/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This area between Neshaminy Falls and Trevose is a hot bed of brazen trespassing with ATV's. Just today I saw some goofball driving one right on the edge of the inbound track in the same spot. SEPTA and local police really need to do something about it.
  by ekt8750

I was fanning up at Woodbourne a couple weeks ago and got front row seats to a freight that hit a garbage dumpster that was sitting on the tracks at Langhorne. Seems like there's some dumb stuff going on up there.
  by glennk419

ekt8750 wrote:I was fanning up at Woodbourne a couple weeks ago and got front row seats to a freight that hit a garbage dumpster that was sitting on the tracks at Langhorne. Seems like there's some dumb stuff going on up there.
It's not going to seem so dumb when someone gets killed.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: This was more then a ATV...It was a SUV that was probably stolen by youths that went joyriding
getting it stuck on the tracks thinking that they could run it across...

Just remember this when a auto encounters a train in this manner: "Even if it's a tie you lose!"

MACTRAXX
  by SCB2525

I understand that this incident involved an SUV. Much more often however the local white trash youths are tooling along and over the tracks in ATVs. A train hit one in the same spot a couple years ago. This time someone got even more brazen and tried crossing the tracks in a Blazer. Stupid to even think it can be done let alone try.
  by 25Hz

There is a junkyard right near that spot..........
  by rslitman

SCB2525 wrote:I understand that this incident involved an SUV. Much more often however the local white trash youths are tooling along and over the tracks in ATVs. A train hit one in the same spot a couple years ago. This time someone got even more brazen and tried crossing the tracks in a Blazer. Stupid to even think it can be done let alone try.
I know of at least two trains hitting abandoned ATVs in the area, both late afternoon reverse commute inbound trains, both on Thursdays in early June. 371 (now 3755), with Silverliner III car 228 in the lead, hit one at Neshaminy Falls on 6/11/2009. 369 hit one at Trevose in 2012; I believe the date was June 7.
  by 25Hz

Perhaps a lengthy fence down between the two tracks is in order? Last i checked ATV cannot climb fences.
  by Quinn

Then you have someone pull down that fence (or pull it to either side, just enough) and trains cannot move because of obstructions. Is there even enough clearance for a fence between tracks?
  by 25Hz

Quinn wrote:Then you have someone pull down that fence (or pull it to either side, just enough) and trains cannot move because of obstructions. Is there even enough clearance for a fence between tracks?
Yes there is room. And pull down? i know SEPTA is pinching pennies, but i can tell you now, a fence they would put in would take more than just someone pulling it to move. You'd need a cutting torch.
  by the sarge

25Hz wrote:
Quinn wrote:Then you have someone pull down that fence (or pull it to either side, just enough) and trains cannot move because of obstructions. Is there even enough clearance for a fence between tracks?
Yes there is room. And pull down? i know SEPTA is pinching pennies, but i can tell you now, a fence they would put in would take more than just someone pulling it to move. You'd need a cutting torch.
Tell us now!

What kind of fence do you propose SEPTA install? RRs install chain-link fences along ROWs for trespass control. It's not too hard to cut one of those fences; look along the NEC ROW through N. Philly. Should they install a heavy metal wrought iron type fence that is hard to cut, but would most likely get a visit from a torch bearing scavenger? Maybe a "Berlin Wall" type obstruction should be built and it could be called the "Neshaminy Falls Wall". Let's upgrade to the full package: SEPTA transit could patrol it with some K-9's, guard shacks with the big red and white stripped tippsy poles can be installed at each grade crossing (Since that would be the point of entry for ATV's once a fence/wall is installed), and do not forget some machine gun nests to deter vandalism/graffiti.
  by the sarge

Couldn't resist...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by 25Hz

the sarge wrote:
25Hz wrote:
Tell us now!

What kind of fence do you propose SEPTA install? RRs install chain-link fences along ROWs for trespass control. It's not too hard to cut one of those fences; look along the NEC ROW through N. Philly. Should they install a heavy metal wrought iron type fence that is hard to cut, but would most likely get a visit from a torch bearing scavenger? Maybe a "Berlin Wall" type obstruction should be built and it could be called the "Neshaminy Falls Wall". Let's upgrade to the full package: SEPTA transit could patrol it with some K-9's, guard shacks with the big red and white stripped tippsy poles can be installed at each grade crossing (Since that would be the point of entry for ATV's once a fence/wall is installed), and do not forget some machine gun nests to deter vandalism/graffiti.
Yes. ;)

In seriousness though, a nice sturdy wrought iron fence would likely do the trick. You could have it stamped all over with the septa "S" logo to discourage any theft. High density (smaller holes, thicker wire) chain link with I bar posts on one or both sides in addition would further discourage trespassing all together.