• Trackage under NJ Tpke.'s Milepost 87

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Teutobergerwald

Yesterday I had business in New Jersey, and was traveling southbound on the Turnpike in the truck lanes, as a passenger, so I was able to see passing scenery I otherwise would not if I was driving. Just before milepost 87, we passed over a single track, with the foliage of the trees on either side of the right of way close, but not overwhelming it, and the rails appeared to have a shine. Anybody know which line this is, and who uses it, and to serve who? Thanks.
  by R&DB

Norfolk Southern connects to Croxton Intermodal yard.
  by CR7876

R&DB wrote:Norfolk Southern connects to Croxton Intermodal yard.
Not at NJTPK MP 87
Teutobergerwald wrote:Yesterday I had business in New Jersey, and was traveling southbound on the Turnpike in the truck lanes, as a passenger, so I was able to see passing scenery I otherwise would not if I was driving. Just before milepost 87, we passed over a single track, with the foliage of the trees on either side of the right of way close, but not overwhelming it, and the rails appeared to have a shine. Anybody know which line this is, and who uses it, and to serve who? Thanks.
Conrail Amboy Sec
  by R&DB

#1578623 by CR7876
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:53 pm
So I am very Happy to be corrected on this. I used google maps to find MP87 and it dumped me on the NE extention just east of the Hackensack River. Sorry Teutobergerwald.
  by Jeff38201

MP87 is in Edison Twp, the line is CSAO's Bonhamtown Branch. Sees a daily Raritan Central train from the Raritan Center to Metuchen Yard and back. Raritan Central has filed to acquire the line from the NEC wye to the Raritan Center.
  by JohnFromJersey

Isn't that the old Camden & Amboy right of way?