• Track car rides in Kent, CT, 1980s?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Otto Vondrak

I remember passing through Kent, CT, sometime in the mid-1980s with my parents... and some group was offering "train rides" which I realized years later was really a speeder ride (passengers rode in custom built trailers). The ride started just north of the grade crossing by the station, and maybe the ride was 1 mile or so. I remember the track was overgrown and in rough shape- I assume this was before HRRC was operating this segment. Tickets were sold from a temporary ticket booth set up next to the grade crossing.

Does anyone else remember these track car rides, and which organization was running them?

-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

Nope. This was standard guage, gasoline powered speeders on the ex-New Haven tracks (Housatonic Railroad) running north from the Kent Depot. Maybe it was the same group? I dont know.
  by zz4

I recall about the same era some kind of little train ride at Canaan Station. It went up and down the CNE and they even had it named some railroad with a special name.

I think I even have an old ticket around here but eludes me where.

As to Kent I never recall seeing anything but only drove by on rt-7 maybe once a week or two.

by Otto Vondrak

The operation from Cannan was the orginal Housatonic Railroad passenger excursion that ran down to Cornwall Bridge.

This operation in Kent was a one-time deal, the best I could tell, possibly in connection with some festival in the town. It did not appear to be a regular operation. Like someone trailered in a couple of speeders just for the events.
  by zz4

The Canaan operation I referred to was non-Housatonic and just a little ride on the old CNE tracks.

They even had little tickets printed up with some oddball rr name.

Otherwise can't help because thats all I remember.

by New Haven 1

Otto,
You may be referring to the very beginning of what is now the Berkshire Scenic Railroad now based in Lee Mass. I beleive it was Founded by a fellow by the name of John Hebert. I vaguely recall reading in one of the railroad publications I bought some years back about this type of operation being the beginning of the Berkshire. He and John Hanlon, president of the Housatonic Railroad, have had an on and off again friendship over the years with operating rights being at the center of any problems between them. I was told about their friendship by a friend of mine who volunteered on the Berkshire Scenic. Last I heard, things are patched up as the operating issues were resolved to the satisfaction of both parties. It's a really nice line to ride if you venture out that way.