• Train service reading test

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by truckerdude98

Im set to take the reading test in a couple weeks.

Just wondering if theres any specific material i should study?

any help I would be grateful, my direct email is (Edited by Mod. Please use the links at bottom of post, for contact info, do not place email addresses in body of text. Thanks )

thanks
truckerdude98

by rwallace2fan

should be just basic reading comprehension. Are you doing this through UP or did you have to book with an outside company?
  by truckerdude98

had to book with an outside company

by Sandman

The one I took was a 20 question deal. There was a short paragraph with 4 answers to choose. You had 30 min to so it. Basically just read the paragraph and answer the questions. If you are a slow reader, it might not be easy. The questions themselves were not hard or anything.

by rwallace2fan

sorry, don't know anything about outside company one, the 1 i took was up's 20 question one.

by UPRR engineer

Heres an example of one of the questions.
-----------------

6.21: Precautions Against Unusual Conditions

Protect trains and engines against any known condition that may interfere with their safety.

When conditions restrict visibility, regulate speed to ensure that crew members can observe and comply with signal indications.

In unusually heavy rain, storm, or high water, trains and engines must approach bridges, culverts, and other potentially hazardous points prepared to stop. If they cannot proceed safely, they must stop until it is safe to resume movement.
------------
Pick the answer thats the most true after reading the above paragraph.

A. When its snowing stop the train till the storm clears, safety first.

B. Pay no mind to weather conditions, getting there as quick as possible is whats important.

C. Stop before all bridges and culverts till the dispatcher notifies you its safe to proceed.

D. Take care to move the train in a safe manner, protect the train and engines in bad weather.

E. Wear proper attire in bad weather.

F. C and D
---------------------------

That help any? Besides testing you reading ability, it kinda sees how fast you catch on.

by UPRR engineer

Heres another one.
-------------
3.3: Time Comparison

Every day before beginning work, all employees must do one of the following:

Compare their watch with a standard clock.
Ask the train dispatcher for the correct time.
Compare their watch with an employee who has the correct time
OR
Compare their watch with the time service designated in the special instructions.
Employees must make sure their watch does not vary from the correct time by more than 30 seconds.
-----------------------

Pick the answer thats most true after reading the above paragraph.

A. An employee must use a pocket watch.

B. Sometime during your shift you must make a time comparison with the train dispatcher.

C. Using your cell phone is an acceptable clock.

D. An employees watch must be within 30 seconds of the correct time.

E. A and D
  by truckerdude98

thanks uprr engineer you helped out a lot
thanks again

thanks mod sorry about that

by UPRR engineer

your welcome, i made those up so dont go looking for them on the test. :-D

by rwallace2fan

UPRR engineer wrote:your welcome, i made those up so dont go looking for them on the test. :-D
yea, if I remember right the wording of the answers was MUCH worse :-D :-D

by truckerdude98

thanks for everybodys response took the test monday and past it 100% so now wait for the next step, really wasnt that hard and still had time to spare

thanks again
truckerdude98

by UPRR engineer

C-man will you move this to the UP forum and ill make a sticky out of it so i don't have to type the examples of the UP reading test one more time. Thanks buddy...

by UPRR engineer

Leave it up there G-A buddy, im tired of digging it back up buddy... :-D

by powerpro69

I wanna drive a truck!

by Peace_Maker

powerpro69 wrote:I wanna drive a truck!
If you ever go to signal you can drive a boom truck!