• Downeast Scenic Railroad (DSRX) Discussion - 2005-2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by bml1149

The Downeast Rail Heritage Preservation Trust, Inc./Downeast Scenic Railroad is pleased to announce that it has just completed the purchase of Conway Scenic Railroad’s S-4 Alco locomotive #1055.

The addition of this 1000 h.p. unit, (formerly of the Portland Terminal Company a subsidiary of the Maine Central Railroad), will provide a second locomotive for our excursion operation. This purchase is also in keeping with the Trust’s mission of preserving our Maine rail heritage. Many in the railfan community feel as we do, that these familiar units should remain in operation, maintained and part of our railroad history.

The unit will be moved by rail in late June from North Conway, NH to Brewer, ME and then trucked to our Washington Junction Yard. Once on our rails we hope to have the unit operational in July.

We would like to thank CSRR President and General Manager, Russ Seybold and CSRR Operations Manager, Paul Hallett, along with Trust board members Bill Alexander, Art Pew and Leverett Fernald for their efforts in making this purchase and move possible.

Sincerely,
Thomas J. Testa
President
  by b&m 1566

I’m taking my railfan hat off for this question.
Are there scenic vistas along the route, or is this going to be a train ride through woods and backyards?
*Putting my hat back on!
Are there plans to use the wye to turn equipment?
I’m going to be vacationing on Mt. Desert Island the first week of August, will the railroad be up and running by then?
  by rrobserver1

You’ll get to see the famous mountain ranges of Ellsworth, Maine---Just kidding. I rode the line some years ago and if memory serves me, it will be some backyards, trees, sounds like their yard at Washington Junction, a high school and a wilderness area. A lot like the CSRR run to Conway. A train ride. I’m not sure about using the wye. When I stopped in to the yard last fall they said they were shooting for this summer to start operations.

I think though that for those of us in the know of railroads, one has to appreciate what they have done to open this line and get this going, it borders on the incredible.

Again if memory serves me, once they get this thing going towards Green Lake, that is where the scenery gets more dramatic, ponds, Rocky, or some name like that, lakes, bridges, no trestles, taking in the scenery that is down east Maine on vintage rail, but no it’s not going to be the Alaska Railroad.
  by p42thedowneaster

Have they considered converting the coaches to table cars? The Hobo RR in Lincoln, NH seems to have a great little operation selling picnic style lunches to add to the experience. It's all about sharing the historic equipment and route with the next generations.
  by bml1149

Good evening,
We at the Downeast Scenic are very much looking forward to beginning our operation this year. Thinking back on what we've done to this point, as RROBSERVER stated earlier, it has been nothing short of incredible. We have been fortunate to have such a great group of dedicated volunteers and donors that have helped make this happen.
We have already begun our season( it seemed like we never stopped) around the first week of March thanks to the good weather we've had. Our track work is done between Washington Junction and Ellsworth Falls. Our focus is now on getting the equipment ready to go.
As to earlier comments about table cars, that may happen later, once we start operating to Green Lake. The wye will be used to turn the train at Washington Junction, but probably not this year as it needs to be rebuilt. As to the ride we will offer this year, yes, it will go through some backyards, but they are very scenic backyards.
Leverett Fernald
  by rrobserver1

Mr. Fernald, They are indeed lovely, at least you don't have a slew of derelict industrial sites to go by. If you think abot it 90% of all excursions are trees, unless your on the one through the Sahara. You have a very nice ride through a typical down east Maine area, and it is what it is, that is the scenery of the area, I don't think you can change it can you?
  by b&m 1566

Does anybody have up-to-date information on 1055? The last I heard was that it was in Waterville along with 6505? When it is trucked from Brewer to Washington Junction, will it have to be removed from its trucks or will it fit on a low flat bed without removing its trucks?
  by trainsinmaine

My personal hope is that someday Downeast Scenic will be able to do excursions all the way to Bangor, or at least Brewer. I think the potential is there to draw sizeable crowds. As one of the previous posts stated, it's pretty around Green Lake, and if the ride could be extended even farther north, all the better. There's some beautiful, hilly country along the old MEC line between Bangor and Ellsworth.
  by b&m 1566

The first partial schedule has been released! It's still missing the exact opening day and closing day for the season but it looks like it will be two trips per day, weekends only! Passengers will board in downtown Ellsworth near Main Street.
  by BandM4266

b&m 1566 wrote:The first partial schedule has been released! It's still missing the exact opening day and closing day for the season but it looks like it will be two trips per day, weekends only! Passengers will board in downtown Ellsworth near Main Street.
If you read at the beginning of the page on downeast's website it says JULY 2010. If it is on weekends I would say it would have to be July 3rd, as for closing dates you are right it does not say.
  by b&m 1566

The last I heard in regards to opening day/weekend is that it would be towards the end of July, however the 3rd and 4th would work better because of the holiday. They could even add in Monday the 5th since it's the official holiday for this year!
  by atsf sp

Looks like the CSRR markings on the top of the cab are still there.
  by b&m 1566

Has 1055 been delivered to the Downeast Scenic yet, or is it still sitting in Brewer, ME?
  by MEC&BAR

It has been delivered.