Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by rail gauge

Thanks for response.
Any info on number taking the A train?
And why extension?
  by HalMallon

http://newyork.newsday.com/news/new-yor ... -1.4291546

More ex-LIRR workers guilty in pension scam

Former Long Island Rail Road workers Philip Pulsonetti and James Reiser pleaded guilty on Tuesday to claiming disability benefits based on phony injuries, bringing to eight the number of defendants who have admitted fraud in what prosecutors say was a massive scheme.

Reiser, 59, an ex-conductor who now lives in Stuart, Fla., faces up to 50 years in prison and agreed to forfeit $226,645 in wrongfully obtained benefits from the federal Railroad Retirement Board. Pulsonetti, 54, from Remsenburg, faces up to 15 years jail time, and agreed to forfeit $176,000.
  by Head-end View

More guilty pleas this week. See today's (1/12/13) Newsday for the latest including an employee of one of the doctor's involved.
  by R36 Combine Coach

On a related note, a new NPR investigation focuses on the rapid increase in persons applying for disability programs.
  by nyandw

Folks, First time post on this thread. It has the most "traction" of any thread: 488 Replies 64825 views. Thus, of great interest to many as of Oct 08, 2008.

Tool: Can you state the original issue and the current status? I would like to bypass the agendas/PC posts/anti/pro union folks/non-employees/posts, etc. I guess, maybe, could, be, what if/ etc.

What is the outrage and status from your view as of 3/23/13 for a layman just coming into this thread?
Last edited by nyandw on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Steamboat Willie

Steve, how about you read some of the earlier posts by LI Tool and our moderator Liquid Camphor in the thread to get a basic understanding of what's going on. They put some commendable time and thought into a lot of their posts that deserve more than just a summarization in layman's terms. I did not have too much difficulty following along their posts and whatever I did not understand, google helped me.

Personally, I don't think this is an appropriate venue of discussion especially when you have a lot of anti-labor and ignorant participants who do not even work in the RR industry giving their consulting advice. But the Tool felt that a lot of employees who either participate or lurk here deserve some unbiased answers.

This "golden parachute" as many refers it as, and commonly misunderstood is most definitely under much scrutinization. The few retirees who pulled fast ones sucked in the legitimate candidates who qualified for disability for another full review of their cases. Imagine you're retired for 2 years and then having letters informing you that your case is under full review again and reminding you of the repercussions for fraud. We're talking public humiliation in the media, retroactive pension monies repaid plus fines and jail time. Til you get confirmation that your case is cleared there won't be a night that passes by that you will sleep as well as you did. Guilty upon association as they say.

I think this topic should be locked since it ran it's course. It should remain for us to reflect and look back where things were and what they are in case anyone of the lurkers here are contemplating playing with fire when they're getting ready to check out (retire.)
  by 452 Card

Well, since my last benighn response to Steve has been outed, I would like to say that I agree with the final post that this topic should be locked. It has run its course, and any further discussion is only guessing and hearsay. Delete me if you will, but that's the way it is. See ya. Buh bye.
  by Liquidcamphor

As you gentlemen requested am locking this topic.