• TLT MARC MP36's

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by cnj1524

After reading much negative things on the net about the quality factory build of these I had no intenstions of
buying one but after MB Klien had a closeout sale of them at $70 I said why not,I bought 2 MARC units(i dont even
model MARC)but couldnt pass up,they showed up in the mail today and all I can say is VERY IMPRESSIVE,all handrails/
grab irons were intact,they run very smooth,paint is crisp,I read on afew forums there were complaints that there
were no directions,well if these people went to there web site they would know why,they do have directions in PDF
file,decoders look real easy to install with ESU sound 21 pin,but TLT doesnt say what speakers to use(anybody know?)
so now adding more to the collection(didnt need)I will have to see Joe from Island Model Works about the Multilevels
and the single levels(does anyone have any of these cars)I would like to get my hands on some damaged/returns or a
shell from them to build one of the florida sun rail units as I still have the 2 prototype frames for the GP40P/GP40PH-2
that were built by Brian Banna
  by dedm30junk

I have 6 Of the TLT MP36s four of them with DCC and sound and 2 with just DC and they work just fine and had no problems with them.TLT makes good locomotives and I will keep buying them.
  by fl9m2026

Got 8 of these beauties myself. While some details are off compared to their respective prototypes, these are beautiful models.
  by ApproachMedium

I bought the metra one over a year ago as a birthday present to myself. I had issues with one of the marker lights not working. The people at TLT were very helpful but they did not have the part to replace the exact metra front with the rotary light. I ended up fixing it myself by re-flowing the solider on the board. The engine is built fairly well and runs very smooth. I was very impressed with it. I dont know why anyone would complain about this engine. Its also very easy to take apart and the wiring is not a disaster, like an athearn.
  by mlrr

While I own 6 with DCC/Sound, I will say this.

MB Klein got a shipment of DCC/Sound MP36s in VRE paint. I went through ten of them in the store to test run before realizing that none of them had DCC chips in them at all (I checked them all in the store with staff). I was disappointed that something like that slipped through the cracks and I'm pretty sure these were NOT test run before being boxed.

I also ordered two MARC units directly from TLT and received them with broken handrails, mirrors and/or windshield wipers. Fortunately all parts were still in the box and I was able to fix them.

Don't get me wrong. I still love my MP36s and wish I could have splurged and bought more in other Roadnames. I'm forever appreciative that TLT produced these and so I won't totally write them off, but I can't say that the claims in quality control (or lack thereof) are totally baseless.

Kyle