• Tioga Central RR for Sale (Wellsboro, PA)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scottychaos

I also have her listed as 260..
so that is not correct then?
she is actually C&WI #256?

Built as Chicago & Western Indiana (#260?) in 1950.
Alco #77951.
to G&W 44
to Eastman Kodak #9, 1971
Donated to the R&GVRRM in 1997 by Kodak. Preserved at the R&GVRRM as EK 9.

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/GW/GWpage.html

Scot

by CRHauf

Luther,

Just checked. EK#9 is C&WI #260 and then G&W #44. Our museum has EK9's builder's plate so we know she is the 260. ALCO builder's number 77849 February 1950.

I think EK9 and the unit EDM is referring to are two different C&WI RS-1s.

Regards,
Chris

by Luther Brefo

I apologize for my error. For some reason I seem to recall that the number was 265. Correction noted. Thanks you to all involved.

by EDM5970

I don't have the serial number handy, but IIRC 43 (or 256) was built in October or November, 1948. I'm sure about the year, just not the month. (ALGX 59 was also built in 'late 48, also October or November; have to look them both up sometime again-) It makes sense that 260 would be a bit newer.

by thannon

From Star-Gazette's website:

http://www.stargazette.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /312310043

Pa. company acquires two railroads
Star-Gazette

An Exton, Pa. company has acquired the Wellsboro & Corning Railroad, a 38-mile freight line, and the Tioga Central Railroad, which operates a scenic passenger train.

[snip-omv]

by thannon

http://www.stargazette.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /805140332

Given Otto's love of snipping...

Tioga Central growth on fast track

New owners upgrade N. Tier tourism line, vow to attract more riders.

(see article)

by NS3737

Will the Tioga Central and Wellboro & Coring keep their own entity or will both become one company?

And how much freight is there on the Wellboro & Corning? When I was in Wellsboro in autumn 2004 there was little activity.

One locomotive on Wellsboro & Corning paint had her trucks removed and placed in a quite ungainly position while a Lackawanna inspired painted locomotive of the North Shore did the honors of switching a or the customer, something with light bulbs as far as I can recall.

Gijs

by thebigham

^Just because you didn't see any activity, doesn't mean there's very little freight.

I think the annual carloads is around 500 cars.

by NS3737

thebigham wrote:^Just because you didn't see any activity, doesn't mean there's very little freight.

I did not write, that I had seen no activity at all but little activity, quite a diference.

The way it looked they were exchanging empties by loaded cars (hoppers). 500 carloads seems a little thin for the lenght of the line, to make any money.

Gijs

by bwparker1

NS3737 wrote:
thebigham wrote:^Just because you didn't see any activity, doesn't mean there's very little freight.

I did not write, that I had seen no activity at all but little activity, quite a diference.

The way it looked they were exchanging empties by loaded cars (hoppers). 500 carloads seems a little thin for the lenght of the line, to make any money.

Gijs
Why do you think Dick Robey wanted out? When the Eagle Food plant closed, that was a tough bullet to swallow. The new owners have more interest in the passenger operations.

BWP