• THREE U-BOATS CONFIRMED, IN TEXAS

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by GOLDEN-ARM

I have "applied" for a job, with Texas utilities. Conditional on my "accepting" the position, was a need to have a complete roster of locos, and their locations. Here's the roster, the locations are said to be forwarded to me, asap. Note the three locos, on the bottom of the list..... :-D
Dave,

Please see below for the locomotive models. You would be based out of Tatum, Fairfield or Mount Pleasant Texas. You will office out of one and travel between 5% and 25% of the time to the other locations depending on railroad maintenance requirements.

If you have interest, please email me a Microsoft Word version of your resume for review.

Hope all of this helps!

Warm Regards,

Allison Springer I Sr Account Manager

JobPlex, Inc. I an affiliate of DHR International
Chicago, IL
Office: (312) 627-9301 X3203
Email: [email protected]

Are you LinkedIn?

Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/aspringer

Below is a listing of all of our locomotives.

Model Diesel / Electric # of Axles HP Year of Manufacture

190/190 Diesel 4 600 1978

B23-7 Diesel 4 2300 1979

C30-7 Diesel 6 3000 1980

C30-7 Diesel 6 3000 1980

C30-7 Diesel 6 3000 1983

C30-7 Diesel 6 3000 1979

C30-7 Diesel 6 3000 1980

C30-7 Diesel 6 3000 1980

C30-7 Diesel 6 3000 1978

C30-7 Diesel 6 3000 1979

C30-7 Diesel 6 3000 1980

C30-7 Diesel 6 3000 1976

E60C Electric 4 6000 ????

U23B Diesel 4 2300 1974

U23B Diesel 4 2300 1974

U23B Diesel 4 2300 1974

by scottychaos

woo! :P

GA, thats awesome! :P

this still isnt conformation that these are the LV units..but it looks very promising..expecially since there are specifically three listed, and built 1974.

now..why arent there any pictures of them anywhere on the internet?
perhaps they have been in storage or otherwise OOS for a long time??

Scot

by GOLDEN-ARM

A lot of these places are "safety sensitive", even well before the 9-11 safety sensitive directives. Employee photos are the best bet, for finding shots, even though some places forbid cameras in the workplace, for fear of photographing "sensitive" areas or operations. You guys that maintain the rosters have claimed three Valley U-Boats went to Tx. to work in the Utilities operations. I am merely forwarding the info, backing your claims that three Valley U-Boats did in fact go there. Will post location information, as soon as they supply me, for my "new job"....... :wink:
IF I can get that info, I will next ask for serial/build numbers, engine types, etc, and see what they supply. Who knows, it might actually be worth going there, and getting some seat-time, in the bouncy-boats..... :P

by lvrr325

It's been reported by several sources that Texas Utilities bought three of them.

But they also bought a couple of Mopac units and I believe even bought another LV unit 3rd or 4th hand from one of the other buyers.

I wonder where the others have gone?

by scottychaos

lvrr325 wrote:It's been reported by several sources that Texas Utilities bought three of them.

But they also bought a couple of Mopac units and I believe even bought another LV unit 3rd or 4th hand from one of the other buyers.

I wonder where the others have gone?
Yes, Texas Utilities did have a 4th LV U-boat, which is now at the Blacklands Railroad in Sulpher Springs Texas:

http://www.trainweb.org/gggrs/BLR201-Su ... -2003b.jpg

Mopac units? hmmmm, I hadnt heard that,
but some quick googling :
http://www.thedieselshop.us/GE_U23B.HTML

shows that MP had eleven U23B's that were ALSO built in 11/74! :(
same as the LV units..
so that throws a damper on things..because now we dont know if the three engines currently on TU are LV or MP units..

the quest continues! :P

Scot

by GOLDEN-ARM

Will see if they can get me unit numbers. If the locos weren't renumbered, or repainted (like the 4th unit wasn't) it might be simple to see....... :-D Liked the loco behind the Geep, more than the U-boat, to be honest........... :wink:
  by Matt Langworthy

OK, I have a confirmation at least one unit by an LV expert... Mike Bednar! On page 58 of Railroaders In The Lehigh Valley, he says that Texas Utilities did purchase an ex-LV U23B in February, 1999. Here is the geneology of the locomotive prior to the sale:

LV #505 > CR #2781 > R&N #2394

I've been doing some internet searches to see in the R&N sold any of their other ex-LV U23Bs to Texas Utilities, but right now I'm drawing a blank.
  by scottychaos

Matt Langworthy wrote:
OK, I have a confirmation at least one unit by an LV expert... Mike Bednar! On page 58 of Railroaders In The Lehigh Valley, he says that Texas Utilities did purchase an ex-LV U23B in February, 1999. Here is the geneology of the locomotive prior to the sale:

LV #505 > CR #2781 > R&N #2394

I've been doing some internet searches to see in the R&N sold any of their other ex-LV U23Bs to Texas Utilities, but right now I'm drawing a blank.
Matt,
try this page:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~scottychaos ... tives.html

:wink:

Scot

by GOLDEN-ARM

Scots' page confirms the sale, and I would say the roster from TUG verifies it, although, as mentioned, some say they also acquired MOP locos as well. Still haven't heard back from the manager of operating maintanance, regarding serial numbers, or other identifiable features, of the locos.
  by Matt Langworthy

scottychaos wrote:Matt,
try this page:

Scot
I understand... but I thought you were trying to find confirmation on those three units. Sorry for the confusion.
  by scottychaos

Matt Langworthy wrote:
try this page:

Scot
I understand... but I thought you were trying to find confirmation on those three units. Sorry for the confusion.
Matt,
conformation of what exactly?
now im confused! :P

I believe the only thing unknown at this point is which U23B's are actually surviving in Texas? the LV units or the MoPac units..
so we still dont know for certain that the elusive "missing" LV U-boats survive or not..could be LV units in Texas, but could be MoPac units..

thanks,
Scot
  by Matt Langworthy

My brain hurts...

I thought I had confirmation from Bednar's book that at least one ex-LV U23B did go to Texas, but then your web page says three of them went there. Did the U23Bs get scrapped/parted out? Or are they the active units? Back to square one I guess... we still don't know the answer!

Meanwhile... back to the (*^%&%^ digital camera!

by lvrr325

You could check the Diesel Era 2-part article from like 12/99-1/00 or a Central Michigan RR site to verify, but I'm suspecting the Mopac units do not have dynamic brakes, and the LV do. That would probably be the easiest way to tell them apart.

Central Michigan RR has three ex-Mopac U23Bs including the one that was rebuilt after a wreck using an EMD cab -
  by scottychaos

Matt Langworthy wrote:
My brain hurts...

I thought I had confirmation from Bednar's book that at least one ex-LV U23B did go to Texas, but then your web page says three of them went there. Did the U23Bs get scrapped/parted out? Or are they the active units? Back to square one I guess... we still don't know the answer!

Meanwhile... back to the (*^%&%^ digital camera!
Matt,
ah! ok, now I think I see the confusion..

I never knew there was ever any doubt that 4 LV U-boats went to Texas..
as far as im concerned, it has been a fact for many years now.

505, 506, 507 and 512 went to Texas Utilities..
only 512 has been "found"..512 is confirmed with the Blacklands Railroad..
the other three remain the "missing" engines..

sorry about the Matt...I didnt understand what conformation you were talking about, because I never knew anything needed to be confirmed!
I have been under the impression all this time that Four LV U-boats went to Texas Utilities, and thats was a long-confirmed fact..
but that could be wrong I suppose! but I have never had reason to doubt it..

Scot

by TB Diamond

Scot:

My notes on ex-LVRR units taken from X 2200 S and TSL trail off in 1999 and are quite incomplete. Kindly provide info on the ex-LVRR Texas Utility units ie: Date of sale, possible renumbering by TX U and possible repaints.

Only info in my notes on the 505 is: Sold to RMDI 12 Feb 1999.

Only info on the 506: Sold to RMDI then to Texas Utilities 05 Feb 1999.

All I have on the 507 and 512 is: Listed as retired (by ConRail) 03 May 1993.

Thank you.