• Thread For Posting Heritage Unit Locations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by electricron

It's got to be the paint Amtrak chose to use.
UTA Comets painted red, white, and blue look far better far longer.

It's amazing that either red, white, or blue looks better than silver or platinum.

Amtrak needs to hire a new firm for designing its livery.
  by Hamhock

electricron wrote:It's got to be the paint Amtrak chose to use.
UTA Comets painted red, white, and blue look far better far longer.
I'm fairly certain that is vinyl wrap, not paint.
  by Jtgshu

yes, the UTA Ex NJT comets are vinyl wrapped - they are not painted.
  by electricron

Why can't Amtrak also use vinyl wrap?
It obviously keeps its shade of color far longer than Amtrak's paint.
  by slchub

When I go to work tonight I'll stop by the FrontRunner depot (right next to our SLC Depot for #5/6) and see if it is vinyl wrap.

Amtrak did use a vinyl wrap on the Disney Train a few years ago (A Christmas Carol). We ran it from GJT to Ogden with it only having a few hours under its belt and it already had soot, oil, etc. on the outside. You have to keep it clean with a wash rack, etc. That is very expensive given the EPA issues, etc. The UTA FrontRunner goes through a wash rack which keeps them looking like new.
  by EricL

The "platinum mist" exterior applied to the most recently refurbed Horizons actually does look and feel a little bit like vinyl wrap. But I've been told that it isn't. All the same, though, it isn't taking very long at all for the road grime to show up on these cars again.

Here's a funny thing: several of the early Horizon refurbs had a glossy clear coat applied. Unfortunately, the underlying stains were not removed first, and the result was a handful of cars that look both filthy and shiny at the same time. It's quite a thing to look at.

Anyway, the new "heritage" stripes look really good. I hope all this equipment retains the various liveries after the big hoo-rah is done with.
  by slchub

The FrontRunner cars from what I could tell/feel were paint.
  by AMTKHawkeye

Why can't Amtrak also use vinyl wrap?
It obviously keeps its shade of color far longer than Amtrak's paint.
This is true, but on the flip side once a vinyl wrap is scraped or otherwise dinged up, it is pretty much a loss. There aren't any good ways of patching them without seams showing, an over time they could start peeling loose on their own, depending on how it was applied to begin with.
  by Tom6921

Has there been any further stops announced with the 40th anniversery train from August on?

It says the train is crossing the country, but I don't consider the northeast the whole U.S.

I wonder if it will come to Canada?
  by Amtrak7

In June they will announce the rest of the country. I'd expect CHI, LAX, EMY, SEA, PDX, NOL, maybe DEN.
  by jhdeasy

I got to see locomotive 66 on Northeast Regional train 88 passing through ALX on Easter morning, April 24th. I believe I counted correctly, with 9 Amfleet I cars in the consist, rather than the usual 8 cars.

Anyone know if the equipment display at PHL will include NJ Transit and SEPTA equipment, along with the expected Amtrak equipment and the 5 private cars?
  by Amtrak7

Last year SEPTA displayed an SLV set.
  by daylight4449

Amtrak7 wrote:Last year SEPTA displayed an SLV set.
What's an SLV?