• The

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

The

by Mike Morris

n/m
Last edited by Mike Morris on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Sand Box John

"Mike Morris"
8002,8003 one of the two sets of the money train. Still running old 1980s system maps and hvac. Beat up worse than a car sitting in a junkard for 3 years. Despite having maybe 1/4 of the miles of the other 1000 series these cars are really beat to hell.

Beat up as in interiors in need of repair or is it more then that? Ask someone if you may remove some of the maps.

I would kill to have is one of the side roll signs out of those cars.

If you want pics of the inside etc.. post and I will have John do it.

Please do, will post.

by davinp

by uhaul

I have to agree that the Cream & Brown (Maybe it is white) is totally 80s.
They do not look too bad from the outside, but a bit creepy with no lights on inside (that I can see.) Why do these cars say no passengers and are these signs near the doors?

9/11/01
9/11/07

by Sand Box John

"uhaul"
I have to agree that the Cream & Brown (Maybe it is white) is totally 80s.
They do not look too bad from the outside, but a bit creepy with no lights on inside (that I can see.) Why do these cars say no passengers and are these signs near the doors?

The four 8000 series cars are used for the money train. Their former numbers were 1010-1011 and 1044-1045. All five of the sign boxes (two on each side, one above the bulkhead door on the cab end) on each car are displaying No Passengers. Based on the images taken by Ben Schumin all of the signs have No Passengers silk screened on the inside surface of the sign box window.
  by jerryinva

I have to admit, that is probably one of the sets of cars I find most fascinating. I wondered if it had old maps inside, since it had the old destination signs...
  by Mirai Zikasu

Considering that the only function of the four 8000 series cars is to collect revenue from around the system and that the only people who every really see these are a few late-night bystanders or railfans who deliberately look for them, I'd much rather Metro just send the cars through their system to do their job as is rather than waste any money keeping them fancied up for aesthetics. It's been a while since I last saw them around the system, but I don't remember them looking that bad considering that they're non-revenue cars that probably haven't been taken care of in years. A bit eerie-looking as some have suggested, but the cars could look worse. (They could be ad shrink-wrapped! =P)
jerryinva wrote:I have to admit, that is probably one of the sets of cars I find most fascinating. I wondered if it had old maps inside, since it had the old destination signs...
I think someone said they have maps dating back to the 1980s sometime back (Sand Box John if I remember correctly.), but I can't confirm this. When I first saw the money train about a year ago, the assault rifle-equipped armed guards didn't look like they would be very appreciative of me trying to get a closer look.
  by Sand Box John

"Mirai Zikasu"
I think someone said they have maps dating back to the 1980s sometime back (Sand Box John if I remember correctly.), but I can't confirm this. When I first saw the money train about a year ago, the assault rifle-equipped armed guards didn't look like they would be very appreciative of me trying to get a closer look.

If you and 'jerryinva' had reread the opening post on this topic you would know who pointed out what era of maps were displayed in the money train cars.
  by Mirai Zikasu

Sand Box John wrote:If you and 'jerryinva' had reread the opening post on this topic you would know who pointed out what era of maps were displayed in the money train cars.
But, sir, it would have been far too logical to go back up and reread the topic! =P

Nevertheless, thank you for pointing that out. I have no clue where my mind was when I missed that.

by jerryinva

What I meant was, prior to reading the first post on this thread...I had always wondered...sorry.

by Mike Morris

nm
Last edited by Mike Morris on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Sand Box John

"Mike Morris"
Ill get you guys pictures of the inside.
The cars are really beat up. They even smell like urine inside.

My question is are the roll signs still intact above the cab end bulkhead doors? It's obvious from Ben Schumin pictures as seen in the post made by 'davinp' that the side signs are no longer fully intact. Last time I saw the feeler car 1028 all 5 roll signs were intact on that car. I would pay top dollar to get my hands on one of those roll signs.

by Mike Morris

Ill check next time they are around.

by Sand Box John

"Mike Morris"
Ill check next time they are around.

Thanks!

by Robert Paniagua

Wow, 1028 is still around? I didn't know that, I though that unit was scrapped a few years ago, I know that one along with 1029 was involved in that 1/13/82 train derailment on the same exact day as Air Florida Flight 90 crashing into the Potomac River 14th Street Bridge.