• The SIRR and RVRR V

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by fox7344

even if the appeal makes it to an appeals court i seriously doubt ,given the two knock downs that this issue has suffered, that the lawyers for the four towns will not be successful in their attempt to stop this operation.If that were to happen it would mean that the united states government is contradicting itself and that essentially the federal railroad administration and the surface transportation boards have no authority at all. If that is the case these lawyers ought to try to close down the entire railroad infrastructure throughout the united states ,which in of itself is absurd! All this is making money for, is for the lawyers, not the affected towns.They are being drained daily of vital tax payer money. The county has already been advised to counter sue the participating towns in order to recover the tax burden on the other 500,000 residents of union county since the county has had to have extra lawyers defend them and at an astronomical cost!

by TheBaran

Trainlawyer...

A month or so ago there was an article in the Star Ledger that noted Roselle's decision not to fight the railroad anymore (waste of taxpayer money, railroad will be used for economic development). The appeal is dated August 23. Why is Roselle included, did they have a change of heart?

Also, as a life-long resident of the land of lawyers (New Jersey), I think the determination of whether a law firm takes on a case rests more on whether the check will clear rather than whether the case has merit.

by Ken W2KB

Or in the case of the tort bar, if they think there is a chance of a settlement without respect to the merits.
  by fox7344

Since the nimbys also look at this web site to garner information to use against the reactivation i can't and won't say much except that the bridge over the former prr(northeast corridor in linden/roselle)will take at least until the end of march until it is completed. It will be done at night only during blackouts specified by amtrac. As i understand it there are 8 beams that must be put in place,using night construction/motion picture lighting, and will proceed at a snail's pace. Since the nimbys will watch this i cannot and will not say anything more to give them one up on our reactivation.There will be 4 men from amtrac...1 electrician,1 foreman and 2 laborers.There will also be crew from the M&E as well as the chosen contractor. The beams are being fabricated in hudson county and will be brought in by rail when the time is right. On a negative note funding for the rahway valley side is pending some political posturing,so do write to your assembly men/woman and tell them to keep funding for this project flowing. God bless you all and i wish you all a happy,healthy new year.

by Ken W2KB

I would think Amtrak would require at least two flagmen as well. Unless the window simply has no trains whatsoever passing.

by RVRR Resurrected

I remember reading something from Gordon Fuller a while back that said they were under budget for the SIRR and that there was enough money left over for the RVRR to be completed.

I know the RVRR is probably a much more involved project due to the many bridges, encroachments and grades the line passes through but are they that short on funds that they must need so much more?

Does anyone know the status of the Funds available?
  by fox7344

march even possibly june is a very likely upstart date for sirr.safetran has the contract to install all signals,gates,light,crossbucks etc.They were ordered for the 6 crossings in roselle in early december.There is a 120 day lead time in order to make them and probabley one month to install all six crossings but there shouldn't be a problem getting funding to complete this project since nj dot realizes the completion of this project is vital.

by james1787

Nimby Fuel

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6795389/

An unfortunate event and tragedy..

by Camelback

james1787 wrote:Nimby Fuel

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6795389/

An unfortunate event and tragedy..
Yes, an unfortunate event and tragedy but not likely to happen on a reactivated Rahway Valley where trains will not exceed 15 mph. At those speeds a derailed tanker car will remain upright and not leave the roadbed.
  by RVRR Resurrected

fox7344 wrote:march even possibly june is a very likely upstart date for sirr.safetran has the contract to install all signals,gates,light,crossbucks etc.They were ordered for the 6 crossings in roselle in early december.There is a 120 day lead time in order to make them and probabley one month to install all six crossings but there shouldn't be a problem getting funding to complete this project since nj dot realizes the completion of this project is vital.
Wasnt Sen. Kean a few months ago trying to get the funding stopped? It looked like a great possibility of that happening at the time when it was published in all the Newspapers.

A member of the Young Republican Group happens to be good friends with Tom Kean Jr and she is hell bent on having the trains stopped. She's in her early 20's and from Kenilworth.

by rvrrhs

I think the word was the SIRR portion was too far along to stop now, but that the RVRR portion was still in an early-enough stage that it could be stopped by the various proposed railroad-review legislation, like the bill Kean backed.

by RVRR Resurrected

I consider myself a die hard conservative republican but I do not agree with Kean on that at all.

by markyk

Not to worry about the additional funding being held up for the RVRR, from what I understand, it has come through in the past week..........You should start seeing work resume on the RVRR side this week,

As for the SIRT side, the corridor bridge is the only thing holding things up .........still waiting on the beams to be delivered

by CNJFAN

I drove past Cranford Yard today for the first time since before Christmas and saw alot of new ballast piles sitting there waiting to be used.
Other than that, looks like the SIRT looks completed.
  by Electrify the RVL!

Great news, Fox... thanks!
fox7344 wrote:march even possibly june is a very likely upstart date for sirr.safetran has the contract to install all signals,gates,light,crossbucks etc.They were ordered for the 6 crossings in roselle in early december.There is a 120 day lead time in order to make them and probabley one month to install all six crossings but there shouldn't be a problem getting funding to complete this project since nj dot realizes the completion of this project is vital.