• The scrapping of the Budd's and Louie's have begun

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by BuddSilverliner269

As we speak now budd car 214 is being scraped behind Roberts yard on the old centennial track. For all you fan boys of the SLV , the end of the older stuff is near.
Last edited by BuddSilverliner269 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  by ex Budd man

The Burro crane and the track geometry car were scrapped two weeks ago.
  by blockline4180

Sorry for being semi off topic, but do we know how many Silverliner II's and III's are still running in revenue service??
  by scotty269

Also to note: Caboose SPAX 2001 is on the list to be scrapped.

# - Location
2000 - Liberty
2001 - ?
2002 - Suburban
2010 - Powelton
  by BuddSilverliner269

scotty269 wrote:Also to note: Caboose SPAX 2001 is on the list to be scrapped.

# - Location
2000 - Liberty
2001 - ?
2002 - Suburban
2010 - Powelton
Spax 2001 is sitting on the Centennial track behind Robert Avenue yard. Most people cant see it without tresspassing..
  by scotty269

Right, budd, I read that. Where was it stored previously? When was the last time it was used? How long as it been on the Centennial track?
  by BuddSilverliner269

I imagine it was used on work trains but my entire career at septa and I have never seen that car move from behind the crew room at roberts yard on the centennial track.
  by khecht

Well, that's a pretty sorry-looking end for a car I've likely ridden on many times. I guess if it was on the dead line though, it makes sense to remove all the usable components, and sell the rest for scrap as soon as practical.

Speaking of cabooses, is the one that's parked on track 5 or 6 in Suburban going to stick around? It's been there as long as I can remember, and I don't think it's been moved since at least 1998, which is when I last resumed routinely boarding R5 expresses from tracks 6 and 7 and saw it frequently. Is it an old PRR caboose?
  by Silverliner II

blockline4180 wrote:Sorry for being semi off topic, but do we know how many Silverliner II's and III's are still running in revenue service??
Your answers can be found on this thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 32#p901032 :)
  by glennk419

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Image
OUCH. These cars have been around almost as long as I have. Guess we might as well get used to that sight. :(
  by Silverliner II

*sniffs* Such a sad sight to see.....
  by Ken S.

To be honest, I've heard that 214 was the victim of a fire and was destined to be scrapped anyway.
  by glennk419

Ken S. wrote:To be honest, I've heard that 214 was the victim of a fire and was destined to be scrapped anyway.
SLII 257 was the car that cooked in November 2009 on the R5 at Overbrook. I believe 214 suffered a main transformer failure and had been out of service for quite some time. It and ex-RDG SLII 9017 sat at the training facility at Lenni for some time before being moved to WECS and Roberts. I'm sure that all usable components have been stripped to help keep the remaining cars in service. Other cars that have been decommissioned are SLIII's 224 (damaged in head on collision in Roslyn and slid down hill during rerailing) and possibly 237 which also lost it's main transformer. I'm not sure what the 6th car would be that was referenced in the bid.

Wish I could get a set of horns when they do meet their maker though.