• The Raritan Valley Line Thread…

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by nick11a

baldwr wrote:
nick11a wrote:
millerm277 wrote:One-seat off peak rides begin March 2. 10AM-2PM arrivals to NYP, 11AM-3PM departures, weekdays only. Later they are planning on doing the same for 8PM-1AM trains. So looks like 4-5 trains a day each way initially, and the same amount added with the later expansion. Probably not really all that useful to most people, but it's something.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/ ... gins-March" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is useful for some, not as much for the mass population. Still, this will be a great way to ease into the service and allow any kinks that pop up to be ironed out.
I agree... This will be a welcomed addition even if limited. Baby steps... Rome wasn't built in a day.

Though it is bit of an inverse to Midtown Direct's launch in '96 (i.e MD had a "all day" weekday schedule), Midtown Direct service was not all at once. First came weekdays, then weekends, etc. MD had its share of teething problems to...

I think when they eventually put in the late evening weekday departures, that will start to benefit the commuter a bit more. People tend to work / leave the city late. They don't tend to go to work late. Also, it will be nice not to have to hang out in Penn Sta Newark in the late evening, or leave the city earlier than necessary.
True, and I've heard MidTOWN Direct service had some nightmares when it started with weekdays first. Perhaps, it might have gone a little bit smoother if they started it with weekends.
  by philipmartin

If the Raritan Valley trains need prime time slots, eliminate some Amtrak trains.
  by Woodcrest295

Amtrak owns the tracks to Penn Station. The only trains that would get booted would be NJT.
  by philipmartin

Amtrak acquired the NEC in an unusual way. It "paid" Conrail for it by letting it run its freights on it free of charge for a period of time, what Kneiling in a Trains article called a typical government business deal.
  by philipmartin

I was selling tickets in Morristown when Midtown Direct service began, and I don't recall any nightmares. Of course, any time there is a tie up in New York, Midtown Direct trains are frequently diverted to Hoboken, then and now.
  by blockline4180

So where is NJT getting the single level equipment from?? I didn't think they had extra Comet cars laying around, but maybe I'm wrong.
  by baldwr

Couple of airfresheners is the cars in Garwood? - JK
  by R36 Combine Coach

blockline4180 wrote:So where is NJT getting the single level equipment from?? I didn't think they had extra Comet cars laying around, but maybe I'm wrong.
Comet IIIs?
  by njtmnrrbuff

Have a lot of the weekend RVL runs been using Comets so far? I might go railfanning on the line tomorrow? Thanks.
  by jp1822

NJT should have single level cars as a result of the Multilevel II order coming online. NJT does need to fix things south of Long Branch so Multilevels can be run down there. South of Long Branch has a lot of single level cars, aside from the ones stored in Bay Head.

I do have to wonder - if RVL service ramps up with the one seat ride to NYP, will this finally put the pressure on NJT to expand back out to Philipsburg? AND bring further infrastructure improvements to the RVL so it can operate at higher speeds? I cringe at how slow this line seems to be, as the ex-CNJ main line.

There are still a LOT of buses and cars on Interstate 78 that go into NYP. Yes, there is also a lot on intrastate travel as well. But 78 would be less of a parking lot if people could be on a train.
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Then people could text on the train without causing an accident on the road. But that would make too much sense.
Service ended over 30 years ago out here. Probably need another 30 to get it back(wishful thinking at best). Cynical? Nah! I'm from New Jersey. :-D
  by ACeInTheHole

Erie Limited wrote:Yesterday I caught two single-level consists on the RVL.

Train 5423:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=467339

Train 5434:
http://erielimited.rrpicturearchives.ne ... id=3739941

Both were seven-car consists which included a mix of Comet II & III coaches with the usual Comet V cab car.

Rob
You do mean Comet IV (thick window band, center door) not III correct? I can see a Comet IV first car out on 5423.