• The Railway Education Bureau

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

by PRR_6755

Does anyone know if the "basic steam locomotive maintenance" course from the railway education bureau is any good and if the book " The 1925 Modern American Locomotive: construction and operation" By Fredrick J. Prior is worth reading

THX :)

by moocow

I have both books in question

I think Harding's "The Steam Locomotive" is better
than Prior's

i also have a copy of
"Basic Steam locomotive Maintenance"
i have found it useful at work on occasion, since i repair and maintain small steam locomotives this is not particularly surprising
especially since in the past i have seldom worked on outside valve gears

but a more useful book for that is the ICS "valve setting" books

if you are not actually working on steam and just want to learn I would suggest Harding's book

moo
:P

by PRR_6755

Where can you get the book by Harding's book and the ICS valve settings one because the only place i have found technical steam books is at transalert.com, does anyone else know where to get good new books other than e-bay

by moocow

i got my first copies as discards from the municipal library
since then i picked up better condition copies on ebay
like it or not the stuff shows up on ebay pretty frequently

by pjb

Your largest screening list for book purchases is "ADDALL", because it searches the greatest number of booksellers. By the same token you can conduct the most thorough search by using ABE's search mechanism.

Now only members of the ABE membership group of
booksellers is on that list. However there are several thousand from
around the world, and the ABE advanced search, when you master it, is
peerless. Nothing else will produce the results it will produce.
Using it you can hunt by publishers. So: Railway Education Bureau;
International Textbook Company, (this is ICS); McGraw-Hill;Wiley; Theodore Audel; et al - will each produce thousands of technical, industrial, craft, and other titles. Key words like "steam""railroad", "engine", "trolley",and any other word associated with any other subject you are interested in will return countless books. Some will be what you are interested in particularly , however you will note certain book dealers
have concentrations of books in an area you are interested in. Then you can go and specifically browse or search, that dealers stock for books you care about.

I can say flatly that you will beat E-BAY pricing, and deal with a
whole better class of entrepeneurs in most cases. There are also
some such as ZUBAL's, the giant store in Cleveland, that specialize in technical books, or Bennett Feely in Pitsburgh, who specializes in
railway signalling and track materials, where you will pay premium
prices. This is because they pay well to sellers , in order to accrete
the specialized materials they offer. So it is often a matter of buying
from them, or waiting a very long time to achieve what you want at
a lower price.

Good-Luck, Peter :-D
  by peeka

Hi ! My name is Peeka and I am at my wits end on this search. Maybe there's help at the end of this tunnel.. I found this interesting object in my PawPaws toolbox in Gulfport Miss. A brief discription : Brass indicator that has a steam locomotive embossed on one side and the other side says that the patent has been applied for, list odd and even numbers, and it calls itself a "Love's Miles Per Hour Indicator." I believe the type of engine would be a 424 Pacific. I am just beginning this hobby and boy have I got myself one heck of a starting point. Any ideas? Many Thanks!!
  by FourTwelveTwo

pjb, thank you for the search tips. I'd never known about either of these!

I am also a steam technical data collector.

PRR_6755, I personally believe you should purchase each of the "major" books. They all have info the others don't, though this is generally in nuance, not the heavy stuff.

Railway Educational Bureau began as a part of Union Pacific in Omaha and was spun off (for one reason or another) into a stand-alone entity. This happened aroun 1920 or so, I've forgotten just when. The Bureau existed until purchased by Simmons-Boardman in about 1980, and the original office in Omaha still exists and operates daily. Unfortunately, none of the old works are available. They produced a very large line of steam locomotive, brake, shop equipment operation and basic scholastic study courses. I do not see these books on eBay very often, but I'd urge that you watch for them.

Any of you are welcome to email me if you wish to discuss these sorts of books and materials. I very much enjoy talking with others about them and the steam locomotive in general.

peeka, regarding that indicator you've found, I'm afraid I'm at a complete loss. I might suggest that you attempt searches in engines like Google, using something like "steam locomotive indicator", but you've probably already done that. You might want to contact Lynn Moedinger at Strasburg. I believe he has a large collection of material, which may include data on indicators. Good luck!!

John