• The Mother of All Bridges

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by trainsinmaine

Looking for some stats: Back in the days when they were all still standing, which of the following was the longest and tallest railroad trestle in New England: the Clinton Viaduct (B&M) in Clinton, Mass., adjacent to the Wachusett Dam; the Onawa Trestle (CP) in Elliottsville Plantation, Maine; the Gulf Stream Trestle (MEC) in Moscow, Maine, near Bingham; or the Souhegan River Trestle (B&M) in Greenville, N.H.? (Note that I'm deliberately omitting the Rapallo and Lyman Viaducts on the NH's Air Line near Colchester, Conn., as they were filled in.)

Am I missing any other significant steel bridges?

by ThinkNarrow

In Volume XV, Number 4, of the B&M Bulletin (1988), there is an article by Scott J. Whitney entitled "High Bridge." It describes, with outstanding pictures, the realignment of the Connecticut River mainline immediately north of Claremont NH, and the construction of a replacement bridge over the Sugar River in West Claremont.

It says, "Today the High Bridge is the highest on the B&M but, surprisingly, it did not gain this distinction until the Clinton Viaduct of the old Central Mass. Branch was finally torn down." He goes on to say that the High Bridge is 130 feet tall, just shy of the 133 foot Clinton Viaduct.

-John
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

Stats on the Gulf Stream trestle on the Somerset Railway (Maine Central) in Maine: 700 feet long, 125 feet high. After the railroad was abandoned, it was used by logging trucks until 1976. From Walter M. Macdougal, The Old Somerset Railroad.

PBM

by oibu

...all of which are utterly dwarfed by the CN Salmon River bridge right across the border from Maine near Drummond, NB- stats are on the order of 200+ feet tall, 4300 feet long. Steel trestle. Not quite in New England but might be of interest to anyone concerned with such things...
  by trainsinmaine

Wow. I didn't know that existed. It's on the CN main through Grand Falls?
I gather from the map that it must be near New Denmark.

by oibu

It's right between Drummond and New Denmark. One of the most spectacular photo locations I have ever been, especially in the morning from the side of the hill at the east end.

by efin98

oibu, any photos of that bridge?