• The Maine Central Railroad Mountain Division

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

Yes, the section from Mountain Junction to Cumberland Mills (SAPPI paper mill in Westbrook) is still owned by Pan Am and is operated by them as the "Mountain Branch." For more info on current ops on that section of the line, see this thread in the Pan Am forum: Activity on the Mountain Branch (Portland to Westbrook)
  by BM6569

Rode today, over what appeared to be a new(er) route 35 bridge over tracks in Standish. I really want to ride that section of the line next to Sebago Lake!
  by MEC407

You and me both! :-D

I went on a speeder trip over the MD a few years ago but the state (or perhaps more accurately the Portland Water District) wouldn't let us go anywhere near the lake.
  by Cowford

Any progress on the Mountain? Any progress with FE Wood's proposed pellet mill?
  by markhb

Agreed. This is the first I've heard of the "Village Green" project as well, but I've been away from Windham for quite a few years now.
  by Cosmo

gpcog wrote:Slightly off topic but interesting. Even though this particular building has already been moved once, I would have trouble identifying another original passenger depot on the Mountain Division that is still standing.

http://www.keepmecurrent.com/lakes_regi ... f887a.html
Crawford and Glen-Jackson are both standing and well kept.
  by gpcog

Cosmo wrote:
gpcog wrote:Slightly off topic but interesting. Even though this particular building has already been moved once, I would have trouble identifying another original passenger depot on the Mountain Division that is still standing.

I meant the Mountain Division in Maine. Sorry!
  by Cosmo

gpcog wrote:
Cosmo wrote:

I meant the Mountain Division in Maine. Sorry!
OH! lol- kinda wondered about that.
  by Cowford

CHS's announcement on its construction of a propane terminal in Biddeford is good news, indeed, for PAR. That makes three larger-scale rail terminals within 50 miles of the Mountain.
  by Mikejf

Spent all that money and still can get nothing. Now if they would have announced the terminal was coming to Baldwin or Steep Falls, lets build some track. But reality is there is nothing there, never will be.
  by roberttosh

So what's the latest on the proposed big wood pellet plant? If that facility doesn't get built this project will no doubt go down as one of the biggest wastes of money ever! They talk about industrial development "opportunities" along this new revived corridor, but in reality, isn't there already enough land available nearby along the Pan AM, NHN and SLR mainlines - and those lines run through much more populated areas to boot!
  by gokeefe

roberttosh wrote:So what's the latest on the proposed big wood pellet plant? If that facility doesn't get built this project will no doubt go down as one of the biggest wastes of money ever! They talk about industrial development "opportunities" along this new revived corridor, but in reality, isn't there already enough land available nearby along the Pan AM, NHN and SLR mainlines - and those lines run through much more populated areas to boot!
Not necessarily. Part of the whole point of having rail in that area is running through the woodbasket. F.E. Wood has property directly on the line so that's why they were in favor of the Mountain Division over the SLA.

Regardless, at this point in time there simply is no return on investment to be had. Even though someday the tracks might get used for the time being this project would in fact meet the "waste" standard of practically any government review/audit.
  by Mikejf

It met that with me before they even put anything into it. Save the corridor, but don't fix it to just let it sit there.
  by Cowford

The latest edition of Trains Magazine has an interesting article on a wood pellet movement ex Waycross, GA to the port of Savannah for export. The article includes pics of the export terminal. If you want to imagine what would have to be constructed on Portland's waterfront to support the talked-about (but still on the drawing board?) FE Wood mill in Baldwin, this will provide a good idea. Granted, a Portland facility would be somewhat smaller, but I'm thinking that the Portland citizenry unfortunately would not be enamoured with such a dome (or domes).