• The Freehold Secondary Mystery

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Kaback9

Train came in today around 4:55 seen on the way back from a friends, to dark anyhow for photos.

Power was CSX 4423LHF and looked like 3 cars for builders 2 Centerbeams and a single boxcar. There was also a covered hopper in the mix.
  by southern sec. kid

whens the last time the train came?
  by Kaback9

Yesterday, tracks are just rusty from rain.
  by Kaback9

Expect the usual two runs this week and probably a track inspection done in order for next Saturday's Santa train.
  by GSC

GSC Wednesday Report:

Not sure when a train ran last, but there are 3 empty centerbeams and 2 boxcars at BG. CR hi-rail truck and a hi-rail Grade-All at Freehold yard, a little maintenance going on.
  by Kaback9

GSC wrote:GSC Wednesday Report:

Not sure when a train ran last, but there are 3 empty centerbeams and 2 boxcars at BG. CR hi-rail truck and a hi-rail Grade-All at Freehold yard, a little maintenance going on.
There is that track inspection, I was taking about happening :-D . They also checked those crossings with flashers as is done I believe each month or so.
  by GSC

When was the last visit to Freehold? There are no cars at all at BG. Haven't seen a brick car since the last one left. Maybe that guy did retire that old boom truck.
  by Kaback9

GSC wrote:When was the last visit to Freehold? There are no cars at all at BG. Haven't seen a brick car since the last one left. Maybe that guy did retire that old boom truck.

They ran this past Friday down with a single Centerbeam, so they had to have gone down this week.

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1871151
  by Blackseal Jim

Train has still been coming down on Mondays & Fridays, though with the current shortage of daylight, its been in the dark usually around 5:30ish. Does anyone know if they did trackwork on the run around in Freehold prior to Santa ? It looks like there is fresh debris in the area and I remember they did track work before last years run and the year before.
Jim H
  by cblaz

With all this snow, I was hoping for a run down the FIT today, busting through the snow-filled crossings at 10 MPH. I caught CSX 4425 leaving the yard as light power in the early afternoon, but he never made the turn south in Jamesburg. Later on, I heard maintainers clearing up around Jamesburg so the 4425 could get off the Dayton Branch and onto the Hightstown. Guess it was just a plow extra, to clear crossings and switches? At least he made a nice sight coming through Helmetta:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=307857

- Chris
  by GSC

Nice shot, cblaz.

Went to Freehold Wednesday Dec 23 about 11:30 AM, saw the rails were clean heading toward Halls Mills Road, something ran this week after the snow. Rails on the Southern at Collingwood were still covered so I know t wasn't just melt-off.
  by Blackseal Jim

I was out delivering Christmas flowers for a local florist on Wed and while crossing the tracks at Halls Mills Rd, I saw a not too far away headlight. I hooked a u turn and went back to watch #4425 cross . The Dark paint scheme and snow look great together!
Jim H
  by GSC

The Official GSC Wednesday inspection report:

3 empty centerbeams at BG in Freehold this morning, one toward the back of the place and two out front, but on BG property.
  by GSC

Not a railcar to be found anywhere in Freehold today.
  by Eric Mezzo

Hey guys.
Just heard the SA-31 at 6:22 in Englishtown. It had a beautiful Nathan K3L which means it was probably NS? Anyway thought I'd like to revive this thread a little