• The End of Clockers is Near

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jp1822

Jersey_Mike wrote:The mid-morning clocker has 170 following 10 min behind it, which is MUCH more popular due to its faster timing and cafe.
And this is why they need something in the schedule that mirrors northbound Regional 170's schedule. Regional Train 170 is horribly over crowded. Even if they ran a WAS - NYP before or after Regional Train 170 (with similiar stops) it would help the overcrowding.

I have been on Regional train 170 and it can be a real nightmare. I feel sorry for the conductors. They have pleaded with Amtrak management to add more cars to this train to deal with the overcrowding situation - all has fallen on deaf ears. People were packed in on this train like sardines when I have ridden it - vestibules and all. Is standing condition only and people standing in vestibules safe for a train that operates up to 125 mph on the NEC? I wrote a letter to Amtrak about the issue - and got some really poor response.

The main problem is, as I have stated before, is that Amtrak is not properly monitoring its demand/supply - among other things, this includes monitoring what trains its monthly ticket holders ride. The monthly ticket holders can ride whatever Regional train is within a certain window.

Many on Regional 170 were AMTRAK monthly ticket holders, leading Amtrak reservations to continue to book people on Regional 170, even though it was actually loaded with Amtrak monthly ticket holders.

I am sure there is a southbound couterpart to Regional Train 170 in the evening rush hour.

Perhaps Amtrak will smarten up and add some coaches to Regional Train 170 now that the Clockers are discontinued.

NOTE - if you ever book on Regional Train 170, I would suggest you book a business class seat - that is if you want a guaranteed seat!

by burkeman

Now Im hearing that Amtrak is going to run push pull service to Harrisburg. Notice in the lastest Amtrak shedule 179 that use to go to Philly is now terminating in NYP and turning for 151 out of Penn. No more 11pm train from NYP to Philly why do you think this is happening. Becuase of the closing of Race Street.