• The Cardinal That did not "Fly"

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AmtrakFan

51(22) was terminated in Cincinnati due to bad weather. To kick things off in DC they lost the Viewliner due to a mechanical problem. Sleepers passengers were put into Coach. Amtrak should have sent a train from Chicago to Cinci. as a protection train with a consist like 1 P32 1 Cafe 3-4 Coaches and 1 Viewliner for Sleeping Car Pax. Do they run an ontime Cardinal from Indy to Chicago if 51 is at least 2 Hours late? Their is an Ice Strom east of Cincinnati. They had no crews left.

John Poshepny

by Gilbert B Norman

I believe this current Midwest weather is not to be joked about. In this instance, where I have learned that operations of two highly reliable package express carriers, Fedex and UPS, have been adversely affected, Amtrak deserves to be 'cut a little slack'.

Lest we note, that does not mean I have metamorphed into an "Amtrak Apologist'.

Gents, on a personal note, I declined a last minute Xmas invitation from 40+ years friends in Iowa simply because I would have been worried not only about my house (even with its brand new furnace) but also whether after a long night in a hotel parking lot, how would my six year old auto (75K; but maintained 'by the book') feel about running?.

Oh well, the Ski Train has left that area; otherwise guess I could call up the IAIS/Rock Island and have them run me a "passenger extra' from Coralville (walk accross US 6 from hotel) to South Amana (walk to friends).

by AmtrakFan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I believe this current Midwest weather is not to be joked about. In this instance, where I have learned that operations of two highly reliable package express carriers, Fedex and UPS, have been adversely affected, Amtrak deserves to be 'cut a little slack'.
This is weather is not to be joked about at all. UPS has a Massive Hub in Louisville as well Lansing, MI I know the Louisville hub is closed at this time. Happy Holidays Mr. Norman.

John

by Tadman

Southern Indiana has 24" of snow and typically doesn't get near that much. In addition, motorists have been stranded for 12 hours on I-65. Make the usual jokes about crappy CSX track and scheduling for the Cardinal - I rode it a few weeks ago, it was crummy - but this really isn't joking weather recently.

by AmtrakFan

Tadman wrote:Southern Indiana has 24" of snow and typically doesn't get near that much. In addition, motorists have been stranded for 12 hours on I-65. Make the usual jokes about crappy CSX track and scheduling for the Cardinal - I rode it a few weeks ago, it was crummy - but this really isn't joking weather recently.
The Weather is hordnedess. Our Familey has been stuck in a storm on I-65 for an hour or so once. I can't imagine what they are going thru.

John
  by Noel Weaver

AmtrakFan wrote:51(22) was terminated in Cincinnati due to bad weather. To kick things off in DC they lost the Viewliner due to a mechanical problem. Sleepers passengers were put into Coach. Amtrak should have sent a train from Chicago to Cinci. as a protection train with a consist like 1 P32 1 Cafe 3-4 Coaches and 1 Viewliner for Sleeping Car Pax. Do they run an ontime Cardinal from Indy to Chicago if 51 is at least 2 Hours late? Their is an Ice Strom east of Cincinnati. They had no crews left.

John Poshepny
Amtrak does not have enough cars to cover all of their regular assignments, where do you suggest they get protection equipment?
Noel Weaver

by AmtrakFan

Mr. Weaver,
1st off I'd like to say Merry Chritsmas to you and your Family. Now on topic they'ed get the cars out of what's surplus in Chicago like theirs always surplus Amfleet or Horizon in Chicago.

John

by RMadisonWI

There aren't "always" surplus cars in Chicago. Especially duing the Holiday season, when they put every spare piece of equipment they can find into regular service to take care of the holiday rush.

Chicago probably has a minor shortage of cafes right now, as a few Horizon dinettes and cafes are temporarily out of service for various things such as periodic maintenance.

Third, it still doesn't account for the Viewliner you suggested.

by AmtrakFan

RMadisonWI wrote:There aren't "always" surplus cars in Chicago. Especially duing the Holiday season, when they put every spare piece of equipment they can find into regular service to take care of the holiday rush.

Chicago probably has a minor shortage of cafes right now, as a few Horizon dinettes and cafes are temporarily out of service for various things such as periodic maintenance.

Third, it still doesn't account for the Viewliner you suggested.
Oh. I still need to think about that Viewliner tonight. Well Comair Canceled all flights due to Computer Issues so we need more Amtrak not less.

John

by Tadman

While it would be an uncomfortable way to ride for six hours, they could have borrowed Metra trainsets, I'm not sure about the availability of spares during the holiday rush at Metra, but I bet with those new Sumitomo bilevels they have some surplus ex-CNW bilevels sittin around. It's kind of surprising Amtrak doesn't buy ten of 'em for short-haul service if they don't have the money to buy new equipment.

by RMadisonWI

Indeed it would be uncomfortable, Mr. Tadman. Highway coach buses are generally more comfortable, seating-wise, than are Metra cars.
It's kind of surprising Amtrak doesn't buy ten of 'em for short-haul service if they don't have the money to buy new equipment.
Well, there's your answer (no money).

Also, Metra's gallery cars aren't easily converted into Amtrak type seats. They "could" be used for the Hiawathas, if Amtrak didn't mind offending 20-30% of the regular ridership (and I'm sure the Wisconsin and Illinois DOTs would have something negative to say about the idea as well, seeing as how they pay for the service and all). Amtrak runs no other route where such equipment could even be considered viable.

Robert Madison