• The Blind Pig Saloon, Curtis Corners, Jerseyfield Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Blindpigsaloon

Bought 10 acres next to the old Jerseyfield railroad tracks on the seasonal deadened road at Curtis corners. It had an old stone foundation and found several pieces of parts to an old potbelly solve while metal detecting there so far? Anyways I found. An old spring on a hill side and then found an old rusted water pipe in the corner. After digging around I found out it was called the blind pig saloon back during the days of the operation of the rail way for the miners and loggers. My main question is does anybody have any additional info on the saloon. ? Any info,pics,resources would be greatly appreciated
  by wjstix

Don't know if this helps, but a "blind pig" was a generic term for an unlicensed illegal bar or saloon, often run out of someone's house or in an otherwise legitimate businesses' building. Blind pigs were apparently common 100 years ago or more...one of the historical societies I belong to does stories from newspapers of 100 years ago, 125 years ago etc. in their newsletter, and it's pretty common for there to be a story of police shutting down a 'blind pig', or somebody getting drunk at one at starting a fight etc.

BTW this isn't exactly the same as a "speakeasy" which was a bar or saloon serving liquor illegally during Prohibition. Blind pigs were around both before and after Prohibition.
  by Blindpigsaloon

I haven't read that about the meaning of blind pig, thank you for your comment,I learned something,and am hoping to learn learn more yet, I also have contacted our historical society also,but awaiting to hear back