• The big sign at NY Penn Station is going going gone

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by pumpers

I posted this over on the Amtrak forum, but probably there were more NJT riders looking at that sign every day than Amtrak riders.
The "big board" sign with all Amtrak (and NJ Transit) departures at Penn Station is going going gone. http://www.twcnews.com/nys/watertown/ne ... ement.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Was it a "Solari" sign?)
Penn station won't be the same without it. Where will I tell people I will meet them?

I heard on the radio it is being replaced by a bunch of little TV-like signs in different places, because the big crowd watching the big sign was too much of a, well, a big crowd. I'm not a daily commuter and don't have to put up with the crowd every day, but I kind of liked it.
JS
  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

The current board being replaced, which dates from about 2000, is not a mechanical Solari board, no.

It has digital characters, but it does have the appearance or "feel" of a mechanical board.
  by TDowling

As a side note, They should really use the concourse with the large board for Amtrak alone. NJ transit should somehow expand its own concourse instead of relegating the extra passengers all the way over there.