• The Atlantic City Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by MACTRAXX

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:44 pm
By comparison the train from AC terminal to PHL (via 30 Street connection) would be $17.50.
The NJT TVMs offer joint through SEPTA tickets.
R36: NJT does NOT sell SEPTA Airport Line tickets - a separate $6.75 Zone 4 weekday SEPTA Quick Trip
ticket is required to enter the "paid" area at Center City stations at ALL times to PHL...

The only tickets NJT sells on behalf of SEPTA are the three one way fare types for the Trenton Line -
From Trenton - Intermediate to all stations Levittown to North Philadelphia $3.75
Center City Philadelphia Stations $9.25 available at Trenton - and in Center City Philadelphia sold along with
NJT tickets to any NJT station via Trenton at TVMs or CCP ticket windows with an NJT Ticket Office Machine...
Anywhere via Center City Philadelphia "Tunnel" tickets sold at Trenton $9.25 for all other RRD destinations...
Intermediate, Center City Philadelphia and Tunnel tickets are sold at all NJT ticket offices and TVMS along
with one way tickets to/from Trenton from any NJT station...
"Tunnel" tickets are valid at ALL times to PHL as example...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Dcell

Where do the ancient ACRL GP-40s get serviced and who does the work. It's not at the MMC right?
  by R36 Combine Coach

They are cycled to and from MMC.
  by Dcell

Thanks. I mistakenly thought Amtrak did some of the maintenance near Philly.
  by Literalman

I was in the Atlantic City station last week for the first time in decades and was pleased to see a functioning Solari board. It's not entirely accurate, though: trains that go only to Pennsauken are listed as bound for Philadelphia. Still, it was more accurate than the computerized announcements on the train I rode to AC, which listed the next stop as Mountain Ave., Mountain View, Boonton, and other ridiculous places, also Lindenwold, but not when we were near Lindenwold. The only correct station announcement on the whole trip was Atlantic City.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The Comet IIs, when run in mixed trains with Comet Vs can have oddities on their digital signs.
  by JohnFromJersey

Literalman wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:43 pm I was in the Atlantic City station last week for the first time in decades and was pleased to see a functioning Solari board. It's not entirely accurate, though: trains that go only to Pennsauken are listed as bound for Philadelphia. Still, it was more accurate than the computerized announcements on the train I rode to AC, which listed the next stop as Mountain Ave., Mountain View, Boonton, and other ridiculous places, also Lindenwold, but not when we were near Lindenwold. The only correct station announcement on the whole trip was Atlantic City.
Very strange. Though, the ACL doesn't seem to get much love from NJT, so I am not shocked. I believe the ACL is one of NJT's longest lines by route distance, but is the line with the least amount of riders on it.
  by lensovet

Literalman wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:43 pm I was in the Atlantic City station last week for the first time in decades and was pleased to see a functioning Solari board. It's not entirely accurate, though: trains that go only to Pennsauken are listed as bound for Philadelphia.
I just looked at the latest ACL schedule and couldn't find a single train that goes to Pennsauken?

Trenton also still has a functioning board.
  by Bracdude181

I’m fairly certain all trains on this line make all stops. There’s no express service. Wonder if such a service would increase ridership…
  by lensovet

I meant I don't see a train that ends at Pennsauken. Everything goes to Philadelphia so I'm not sure in what sense the board could have been wrong.
  by ExCon90

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:41 pm I’m fairly certain all trains on this line make all stops. There’s no express service. Wonder if such a service would increase ridership…
As long as it remains single track it would probably mess up all the meets with opposing locals; the expresses would end up taking just as long as the locals ahead of them, even without stopping. And if the stations are all on single track (as I think I remember) to save platform costs, that ties things up even more. Ideally, with double-tracking, hourly expresses making only Pennsauken and Lindenwold en route could attract additional ridership, particularly with some really late departures from AC.
  by lensovet

It's not like the M&E where you have stations every 2 miles. Atco–Hammonton is 13 miles, Hammonton–Egg Harbor City is 11 miles, Egg Harbor City–Absecon is 11 miles. Are you even going to be able to shave off 10 minutes what is already a 100-minute ride?

This service would be interesting if you could get the end to end time to an hour. That's not happening with the route conditions past Lindenwold. The S curve between Hammonton and Atco doesn't help either.
  by Literalman

"I meant I don't see a train that ends at Pennsauken." You are right. I misread the schedule. :-( I saw all that white space below Pennsauken for the last two trains and thought that was as far as the train went, but the white space was for River Line connections. Maybe the Pennsauken trains went to Metuchen. ;-) The Atlantic City train I was on was going there. Or was that just the computer talking?
  by MedicSutton

Still waiting on a PRSL heritage unit.
  by Kaback9

MedicSutton wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:11 am Still waiting on a PRSL heritage unit.
Maybe wishes will be granted, time will tell.