• The Atlantic City Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by TheTroll

cruiser939 wrote:
ns3010 wrote:
TheTroll wrote:A 4 car train with 3 toilets, and then there's the 9 car sets with just one. Unbe-freaking-lieveable. :(
Sets like those are a real PITA. Especially when you are sitting in the first car behind the loco...

It would be nice if they could at least make an attempt to generally have one in every third car or so...
There are guidelines set forth for how consists should be made up. All of them go out the window when you need to get a set on the road.
Not for nothing, but this has been going on for quite some time. It seems more like the norm than the exception. I understand it's not easy juggling everything around, even when "stuff" happens, but come on now. I've said it in another topic awhile ago, I've gotten 10 car ML sets with 7 toilets and 10 car ML sets with 3. But rarely more than 2 on Comets sets with more than 6 cars. Had a Bay Head set of 6 cars with 3. Go figure. I don't care, i got one on either end I sit at (haha, sucks to you :P).
  by WaitinginSJ

With all of the cuts, does anyone know what's going on with the planned new airport station, Woodcrest station, and double tracking?
  by Matt Johnson

WaitinginSJ wrote:With all of the cuts, does anyone know what's going on with the planned new airport station, Woodcrest station, and double tracking?
Knowing NJT, those are probably part of some separate capital budget that always seems to have money even though there's never enough in the operational budget to actually run the trains!
  by Jtgshu

WaitinginSJ wrote:With all of the cuts, does anyone know what's going on with the planned new airport station, Woodcrest station, and double tracking?
Hopefully the stupid airport station and Woodcrest are shelved permamently........

and that money put to the Xfer station in Pennsauken and double tracking.

IMO of course
  by Roadgeek Adam

Jtgshu wrote:
Hopefully the stupid airport station and Woodcrest are shelved permamently........

IMO of course
Pennsauken Transfer is going through to the end I believe
  by WaitinginSJ

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:

IMO of course
Pennsauken Transfer is going through to the end I believe

Pennsauken's been started already so I'd assume its safe to say they'll finish, but I (personally) think the airport station's a good idea. It connects to the airport (which has and still is undergoing extensive improvements), the mall, Stockton College, and the nearby hospital.
  by Patrick Boylan

I wish somebody would define 'started'. To my eyes passing Pennsauken on the Riveline all I see is a few mounds of ballast and, as I've mentioned a couple of times on the NJ light rail forum, 'pretty pink pennants on sticks'. Now I also see some beautiful blue banners on sticks, but I can't swear as to when they were put in. Before daylight savings time many of my commute trips were in the dark, and many of the daytime ones all I could see was the inside of my eyelids.
Within the last month somebody planted a couple of construction trailers, but I can't figure if they're on the manufacturing company's lot next door. I hope they're NJT's trailers, but I don't see what construction activity came about because of them.
As each week goes by I keep anticipating seeing something. Maybe I'm too eager.
I also have a bit of selfish apprehension that my Riveline trips will be slower because of this station. Does anybody know if it'll be a flag stop, presumably passengers who want to alight would tell the operator via the existing intercom, or will every Riveline train stop regardless of demand, or will the Riverline stops be scheduled around Atlantic City Line timings?

And will it be a single track station, or will the Riveline get at least a little bit of double track?
  by CNJGeep

Isn't the station being federally funded, meaning budget shortages will mean nothing?
  by cruiser939

WaitinginSJ wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:

IMO of course
Pennsauken's been started already so I'd assume its safe to say they'll finish, but I (personally) think the airport station's a good idea. It connects to the airport (which has and still is undergoing extensive improvements), the mall, Stockton College, and the nearby hospital.
AS CNJGeep has said, Pennsauken is being funded with ARRA funds so that project is going through. The airport idea is stupid, sorry.
  by cruiser939

gardendance wrote:I wish somebody would define 'started'. To my eyes passing Pennsauken on the Riveline all I see is a few mounds of ballast and, as I've mentioned a couple of times on the NJ light rail forum, 'pretty pink pennants on sticks'. Now I also see some beautiful blue banners on sticks, but I can't swear as to when they were put in. Before daylight savings time many of my commute trips were in the dark, and many of the daytime ones all I could see was the inside of my eyelids.
Within the last month somebody planted a couple of construction trailers, but I can't figure if they're on the manufacturing company's lot next door. I hope they're NJT's trailers, but I don't see what construction activity came about because of them.
As each week goes by I keep anticipating seeing something. Maybe I'm too eager.
I also have a bit of selfish apprehension that my Riveline trips will be slower because of this station. Does anybody know if it'll be a flag stop, presumably passengers who want to alight would tell the operator via the existing intercom, or will every Riveline train stop regardless of demand, or will the Riverline stops be scheduled around Atlantic City Line timings?

And will it be a single track station, or will the Riveline get at least a little bit of double track?
The River line station will be a single track. Additionally, there will be a park and ride lot so every train will stop there.
  by WaitinginSJ

cruiser939 wrote:
WaitinginSJ wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:

IMO of course
AS CNJGeep has said, Pennsauken is being funded with ARRA funds so that project is going through. The airport idea is stupid, sorry.
Lets just agree to disagree on the airport. I do agree that Woodcrest is not needed
  by south jersey trains

With the new governor from North Jersey,the crumbs that we recieved down here will go from little to almost nothing,he has cut every where and especially down here.This week he is lowering the the fare increases for buses,but train fares will still stay at 25 percent increases,not a good sign for trains.I hope the Atlantic City airport station does get built.Anything we can get is welcome,but with train service being cut is not a good sign for double tracking.A spur to the Hamilton Mall and all the stores would bring a lot of shoppers to the Mall and also from Atlantic City which is only about 13 miles away.Hey waiting in sj,we will be 100 years old by time the train gos to Vineland or cape May,just thought id throw that in there.
  by Jtgshu

south jersey trains wrote:With the new governor from North Jersey,the crumbs that we recieved down here will go from little to almost nothing,he has cut every where and especially down here.This week he is lowering the the fare increases for buses,but train fares will still stay at 25 percent increases,not a good sign for trains.I hope the Atlantic City airport station does get built.Anything we can get is welcome,but with train service being cut is not a good sign for double tracking.A spur to the Hamilton Mall and all the stores would bring a lot of shoppers to the Mall and also from Atlantic City which is only about 13 miles away.Hey waiting in sj,we will be 100 years old by time the train gos to Vineland or cape May,just thought id throw that in there.
SJ Trains, wanting a rediculous, wasteful station simply because of the whole North Jersey vs. South Jersey thing is no better, and actually its worse. Thats one of the ways the state is in the mess it is in. Not everything is a "tit for tat" kinda thing, which is sort of how NJ works, unfortunatetly. There are some realities that need to be realized, with one being that SJ has LESS POPULATION than North Jersey, and therefore doesn't need or require as much mass transit because the MASS isn't as MASSive...

Adding stations to a line that already is a long ride might add ridership in theory, but maybe not in reality. Each stop makes the trip like 4-5 minutes longer (especially in high speed terrority, like ACY and Woodcrest), and sometimes, that might push some passengers off the trains. Adding 3 more stops (AC Airport, Woodcrest and Pennsauken) is like another 13-15 minutes added to the trip.

Smart additons to the line will help ridership, dumb ones won't, and will hurt it....
  by WaitinginSJ

Jtgshu wrote:
south jersey trains wrote:With the new governor from North Jersey,the crumbs that we recieved down here will go from little to almost nothing,he has cut every where and especially down here.This week he is lowering the the fare increases for buses,but train fares will still stay at 25 percent increases,not a good sign for trains.I hope the Atlantic City airport station does get built.Anything we can get is welcome,but with train service being cut is not a good sign for double tracking.A spur to the Hamilton Mall and all the stores would bring a lot of shoppers to the Mall and also from Atlantic City which is only about 13 miles away.Hey waiting in sj,we will be 100 years old by time the train gos to Vineland or cape May,just thought id throw that in there.
SJ Trains, wanting a rediculous, wasteful station simply because of the whole North Jersey vs. South Jersey thing is no better, and actually its worse. Thats one of the ways the state is in the mess it is in. Not everything is a "tit for tat" kinda thing, which is sort of how NJ works, unfortunatetly. There are some realities that need to be realized, with one being that SJ has LESS POPULATION than North Jersey, and therefore doesn't need or require as much mass transit because the MASS isn't as MASSive...

Adding stations to a line that already is a long ride might add ridership in theory, but maybe not in reality. Each stop makes the trip like 4-5 minutes longer (especially in high speed terrority, like ACY and Woodcrest), and sometimes, that might push some passengers off the trains. Adding 3 more stops (AC Airport, Woodcrest and Pennsauken) is like another 13-15 minutes added to the trip.

Smart additons to the line will help ridership, dumb ones won't, and will hurt it....
Yes, there's less people, but that's no excuse for the abysmal service that's so slow and spread out that few people would use it. Maybe if there was decent service (you know, some trains arriving every half hour during certain hours maybe?) and slightly better transit in Philly it would see a surge. With rail transit, we probably only need maybe 4 lines (Philly-Camden-Glassboro-Millville-Cape May; Philly-Mt. Holly-Toms River(yes that's also central, but also part southern); a connector to the MOM that runs north from Bridgeton with limited service; and Cape May-Winslow/Hammonton/Atco/ACY/A.C/Philly) That's less than half the number of lines in North Jersey, counting the ACL. I'm not saying tit for tat, I'm saying maybe we should start thinking ahead or acknowledging that there's a NJ south/east of the Turnpike and west of the Parkway.

The stop at ACY would add ridership from Stockton and the nearby Hospital. Personally, I think it would help if marketed in conjunction with attracting Quebequos who frequent Wildwood very much. As much as I'd love to see a mall spur, I don't think it would see too much ridership, although I do think a small shuttle bus would probably see decent patronage. I know that if they extend/ever build the Glassboro line that it would stop at the Cumberland mall and act as a Park-n-Ride and that the current line possibly stops at the Deptford Mall, but I think I'm thinking of another plan. I don't think Woodcrest is needed though. To me, it seems redundant. How much time would double tracking shave off?