• Terminal at Jersey Gardens Mall

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Butlershops

What is the name of the intermodal terminal just south of the Jersey Gardens Mall? Is this built in the remnants of Elizabethport Yard?
  by gravelyfan

Butlershops wrote:What is the name of the intermodal terminal just south of the Jersey Gardens Mall? Is this built in the remnants of Elizabethport Yard?
E-Rail Yard, operated by Norfolk Southern. Approximately 3 intermodal trains per day each way, I believe. One of the evening westbounds seems to operate via the Chemical Coast/Port Reading Secondary route on a very regular basis, often hear it getting a Form D between 5 and 6 pm.

E-Rail is built not so much on the site of the "yards" at E-port, more so on the site of the various shop & repair buildings.

AFAIK, the "yard" at E-port was more to the west, where CSX now has a bulk transload operation.

by 7 Train

Is it a Conrail Shared Assets facility?

by OCtrainguy

E-Rail is owned and operated by NS while E-Port is CSX's.

by BigDell

Speaking of which, is there anything left of that "graveyard of tracks" behind the old CNJ E'port shops? What is actually left down there?
Is there an up to date diagram of the trackage on or about E'port?

BigDell

by Sir Ray

BigDell wrote:Speaking of which, is there anything left of that "graveyard of tracks" behind the old CNJ E'port shops? What is actually left down there?
Well, I do know there is one industry to the East of the road to Jersey Gardens from Elizabeth which takes Covered Hoppers (NOT the transload terminal to the West - this is to the East next to the former Engine Shop, and it was active two months back when I past by). Awhile back (2 years?), there was also some transloading of pipe or steel in the same general area, but I haven't seen that in a while.