• Superliner questions?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by matawanaberdeen

How old are the Superliner cars and who built them? If they were going to start to replace them would they stick with the Superliner idea and who would build the new Superliners? I ask because I traveled on them years ago when I was a kid and loved them. Thought they were cool and fun and comfortable. Thanks JC
  by Jersey_Mike

Next time try doing this for basic information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superliner_%28railcar%29

The first batch were built by Pullman Standard 1979-81 and the next batch were built in 93-94 by Bombardier. Following that a a number of Superliner type cars were built for Amtrak California service in 96-97 by MK and 2001 by Alstom. As the design is still "active" this makes it likley that Amtrak would stick with a super-liner type design when replacing its Superliner I fleet.
  by matawanaberdeen

I did read the Wikipedia page, Wanted to see how many people knew and it doesn't Answer what Amtrak will do in the future. JC
  by R36 Combine Coach

Bombardier currently owns the Superliner design, after purchasing rights from Budd, Boeing and Pullman in 1987.
  by lattasnipe9

[quote="R36 Combine Coach"]Bombardier currently owns the Superliner design, after purchasing rights from Budd, Boeing and Pullman in 1987.[/quote]

What exactly did Boeing do in the design?
  by matawanaberdeen

lattasnipe9 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Bombardier currently owns the Superliner design, after purchasing rights from Budd, Boeing and Pullman in 1987.
Same question I am intrigued by that statement? Boeing and trains? JC
  by shadyjay

matawanaberdeen wrote:I did read the Wikipedia page, Wanted to see how many people knew and it doesn't Answer what Amtrak will do in the future. JC
I'm sure Amtrak doesn't know what they're going to do yet in the future. :P
  by jp1822

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Bombardier currently owns the Superliner design, after purchasing rights from Budd, Boeing and Pullman in 1987.

Ok Bombardier owns the Superliner design. However, Amtrak was able to build the California bi-level cars for the Capitol Corridor, Pacific Surfliner etc. Was there anything special about having this order placed? If Bombardier owns the Superliner design does that simply mean that Bombardier would have to build the next batch of Superliners? Were they the ones that built the California bi-level cars for example? Going forward I guess it would be best if Amtrak bought the design of any cars they were to order and build, as they have done with the Viewliner design etc. Is the Viewliner design perhaps the only rail passenger design that Amtrak owns outright?

Course the Superliner design was sort of an outgroth of the AT&SF RR's Hi-Level cars (coaches, diners, lounges, Transition car etc.). I guess Amtrak was smart in ordering Transition cars that were sleeper oriented than coach and sleeping car space for crew (as part of the Superliner Trans Dorm/Sleepers), as Amtrak was able to get additional sleeper space out of their Superliner Trans Dorm sleeper than coach space. Course were the Trans Dorm/Coaches from the AT&SF RR inherited by Amtrak premature? These Superliner Trans Dorm/Sleepers just have a descent amount of roomette sleepers - more sleeping space than a Viewliner sleeper for that matter!
  by R36 Combine Coach

matawanaberdeen wrote:
lattasnipe9 wrote:
Same question I am intrigued by that statement? Boeing and trains? JC
In 1987, Budd, Boeing and Pullman sold their rail design and asset rights to Bombardier. Boeing had a brief entry in the rail industry during the 1970s and early 80s. Bombardier picked up the Amfleet designs and stainless patents from Budd and the Superliners and Comets from Pullman.
  by matawanaberdeen

Great info R36. I had never ever heard about Boeing entering the rail business for a brief time. That is actually fascinating to me. JC
  by GWoodle

For much of the 1970s, Boeing Vertol entered the railroad rolling stock market in an attempt to keep government-funded contracts in the wake of the Vietnam War. During this period, Boeing Vertol manufactured the Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit system for West Virginia University, the 2400 series Chicago 'L' cars for the Chicago Transit Authority, and the US Standard Light Rail Vehicle (marketed as the Boeing LRV). It was the last vehicle, an attempt at a standardized light rail vehicle promoted by the Urban Mass Transit Administration, that led to the company's ending rail production due to a myriad of problems which cost Boeing and the vehicle's two buyers (authorities in Boston and San Francisco) millions and led to premature retirements of the vehicles.

Unlike the LRV failure, however, the company's subway car manufacturing program was relatively successful. By the late 1990s, their cars were still in use after more than twenty years. Among the reasons why the company left the subway business was that their competitors may have underbid on a key contract and the post-Vietnam War military build up provided the company with far more lucrative military contracts.

From Wiki article
May not fit here but explains the Boeing question
IIRC the 2400 series L cars have 1 person operation (no conductors/door operator) and an aluminum body.

The first batch was built by Pullman at the old Chicago plant. THe George Pullman sleeper was the last one of it's kind built. That is now 30 years ago. There may be parts unavailable now.
  by goodnightjohnwayne

matawanaberdeen wrote:I did read the Wikipedia page, Wanted to see how many people knew and it doesn't Answer what Amtrak will do in the future. JC
Why post a question that you already answered from a Wikipedia article? What did you mean by, "Wanted to see how many people knew?"

As far as future plans, I would advise you to read further. There are the Superliner I renovations, rehabilitation of wrecked cars, and the likelihood of further California Car orders from Alstom. It should be clear that the Superliner/California Car/Surfliner fleet isn't going anywhere any time soon.
  by matawanaberdeen

What I didn't know is what happens when the company that built the original traincar doesn't exist anymore. Now I know a new company just buys the patent. Alstom I'm assuming doesn't build the rail cars here? Sorry for the confusing question. JC
  by USRailFan

Passenger cars tend to last for 40-45 years, so it is not like Amtrak needs to hurry up to find a replacement for the oldest Superliners just yet.
  by goodnightjohnwayne

matawanaberdeen wrote:What I didn't know is what happens when the company that built the original traincar doesn't exist anymore. Now I know a new company just buys the patent. Alstom I'm assuming doesn't build the rail cars here? Sorry for the confusing question. JC
A quick internet search would indicate that Alstom indeed does "build the rail cars here," in the former MK facility in Hornell, NY - although the facility has recently been laying off workers as MTA transit orders have been coming closer to completion. Bombardier built the Superliner IIs in Barre, Vermont.

As far as the actual intellectual property rights, it isn't a major issue.