• Sunset Ltd Schedules March 2019

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Morning Zephyr

I've got a booking on the westbound Sunset in early March (boarding in Alpine) and just got an automated email from Amtrak reissuing the ticket on a schedule about an hour and a half later than the current schedule. The running time between Alpine and El Paso is also increased considerably, despite it being a short distance. Looking at their site, I also see the eastbound (LA to Alpine) is scheduled for earlier than ticketed (7:26 PM departure from LA rather than 10:30 PM), though I have not received an email notice of that change.
The new schedule westbound is certainly a welcome change, with LA ETA of 8:40 AM far better than the god-awful 5:35 AM on the current schedule. (Looks like they've lengthened the overall running time, since departure from New Orleans is unchanged from the current 9:00 AM. The additional running time seems to have been added between Houston and El Paso, from what I can tell.)
Do we think this is a permanent change, or one of those seasonal adjustments they do for U.P. track work?
  by bratkinson

Based on my currently ticketed trip from #11 to #2 in early April, and that I have NOT received any communication from Amtrak that the connection is broken, I must assume it is a temporary track maintenance project somewhere along the way. Or else, Amtrak's email-generator system is quite slow to send out messages.
  by Backshophoss

This is one of the feeder lines on UP's southern transconn to LA, must be planned trackwork during that time period.