• Sunset Limited and Pioneer route studies

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Don_

neroden wrote:
Batman2 wrote:There's no significant population between Salt Lake City and Portland and it's a long distance, which makes it an LD train by definition; it just isn't suitable as a corridor.
3. What role do existing routes play in this, i.e. is the Pioneer the only possibility for fixing some routing issues?
Well, basically, the routing issue is that currently to get from Salt Lake or Denver to the Pacific Northwest you have to detour via the San Francisco Bay Area. This is horribly indirect and runs through *two* mountain ranges, so it's never going to be a reasonable speed.

Really the motivation for this is simply that Boise wants service again. And I say good for them, but the state of Idaho should fund it.
Boise's population is approaching or above 500,000.
The Pioneer was a system national train.

States shouldn't be forced to pay for system-core trains.
  by Don_

John_Perkowski wrote:Vegas with 1/day service is a so-what imnsho. There have to be enough movements from LA or SLC to make it worth a damn to take a train vice air, especially from LA.

In LA I can hop to LV from LAX, Burbank, John Wayne, Ontario... but the only place Amtrak'd probably be willing to start a train is LAUPT.

The old city center argument is reversed here. It's the train that's inconvenient.

Besides, is there a fairy-god congresscritter for LA/SLC-LV service? There seems to be one for the Pioneer.
Again, limited thinking.
One train a day would be good to start. Additional service can come later.

So the Texas Eagle is no good because it only runs one way each day?

You obviously haven't ridden the Desert Wind.
One train from SLC to LA was sufficient as a basic train. It had strong riders.
Additional frequencies can be started running LA-LV. Restore the core national route first.
Last edited by Don_ on Thu May 20, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Don_

Gilbert B Norman wrote:It appears that an advocacy group, the Pioneer Restoration Organization, has challenged the conclusions drawn with the mandated Pioneer route study. They prepared a 'Response' to the Amtrak study as provided for by law. Here is a link to their material:

http://www.pioneertrain.com/PioneerResponse.pdf

In essence, other than a routing via Ogden in place of Montpelier, to bring back the Portland Rose, or more specifically the Denver-Portland segment of such, is what the group is proposing. The WB Rose left Denver about 6PM and Cheyenne about 830. It then operated, handling much head-end to every station along the Overland Route to Granger where it diverged on to the Oregon Short Line. This group would have their Rose continue to Roy (just to the East of Ogden) then head South to Salt Lake arriving there 8AM or so. Train then would be wyed and continue on the former route of The Pioneer to Seattle. Boise would be served early afternoon, and the Blue Mountains would be X'd by light of day in both directions. Arrival in Portland would be 7AM and Seattle 12N. EB, the Seattle=Portland departure would be a "Twi-Nite", Boise about Noon, Salt Lake about 8PM, Cheyenne 6AM, Denver 9AM.

That's two days out, volks. That's 421-422, the Eagle/Sunset - minus its numerous and growing on-line population centers.

I guess there are a few potential "mini-Corridors" such as Cheyenne-Denver following the traditional "one a day" pattern of "little town to big town in the morning then back to little town in the evening". I guess, it would add an additional frequency SL-Ogden adding to the existing Frontrunner service. But pity someone traveling from, say, Cheyenne to Ogden; guess what; we throw in an excursion to Salt Lake first.

The advocacy group talks of leisurely travel and offering sightseeing tours for passengers connecting with the Zephyr at Denver. That's great if the operator is American Orient Express (whoops, didn't something happen there?); not so great if we are addressing Federally funded service.

So I think two guesses with the first not counting will show what I think of any such proposal, but others likely hold differing views. Let the discussion continue.
Those advocates have every right to express their position. Their arguments make sense.
You sir seem to diss every idea of expansion not connected with some holy corridor. Not everyone lives near a corridor, sir.
Look at the way you dissed new Fla. service.
  by wigwagfan

Don_ wrote:States shouldn't be forced to pay for system-core trains.
The Pioneer wasn't a "system-core" train; it did not start operation until 1977 if I recall correctly.

1971 - Original Amtrak map, no Pioneer
http://www.narprail.org/cms/images/uploads/map71.pdf

1975 - no Pioneer
http://www.narprail.org/cms/images/uploads/map75.pdf

1978 - first map showing the Pioneer
http://www.narprail.org/cms/images/uploads/map78.pdf
  by wigwagfan

Don_ wrote:We could very well say the same thing for ANY Amtrak train, your Cascades as well.
You'll notice that I frequently decry the Cascades route from Portland to Eugene (part of a corridor) as one that should be axed as being unsuccessful; the much more successful Portland-Seattle segment could strongly benefit from having additional equipment available north of Portland for service expansions, without new equipment or costs.
Don_ wrote:People in Idaho used the train and it was popular when it ran before so-called expert consultants recommended Amtrak discontinue a viable route to allow the CZ to run daily.
The question is "how many" People, and the definition of "popular".

A train that consistently ran with just four cars - two coaches, a diner, and a sleeper, and rarely ran close to capacity, is hardly "popular". (When I rode the Pioneer from Portland-Denver in 1992 the train had three coaches; none of the coaches were at capacity; the dining car typically was used only at 50% of capacity so that the other half could be used as a lounge area for lack of a Sightseer Lounge - and I don't recall anyone being denied meal service in the diner because of the imposed reduced capacity.)

Boise does not suffer from any lack of transportation options; in fact its smaller airport is quite well-served, and surprisingly has competition on many of its routes. On routes to Seattle, Portland, the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City and Denver - each of those routes are served by at least two carriers; Denver has three carriers. That is quite unusual for many airports and especially one that serves a smaller area like Boise. The residents of the Treasure Valley are huge recipients of this - better service, lower fares, more flights and more capacity - from for-profit companies. Meanwhile, Greyhound and Northwestern Trailways provides regional and intercity bus service along the I-84 and U.S. 95 corridors for local service needs.

It is questionable as to the need of Amtrak service given the wide range of transportation options; and especially given the required capital cost to start a service given the limited potential for ridership, the virtual impossibility that revenues will come even close to expenses (and the questionable ability for governments to cover the operating losses - Idaho is not a big-budget state, and Oregon is close to financial crisis). It is not the responsibility of any government agency to provide a rail service simply on the whims and desires of its residents who make an active choice not to avail themselves of the existing options; a dislike of Greyhound is hardly a rationale to spend tens of millions of taxpayer dollars for a few elitist citizens to demand an expensive new train. If Boise and the rest of the Pioneer corridor could offer some type of ridership projection that could demonstrate the financial benefits of mass transportation by rail then there would be an argument, but there is nothing to suggest that the benefits of rail can be achieved here.
  by John_Perkowski

Don:

218+51+1.

Right now, NEC+CA <>218, let alone 51.

The one a day vitamins of 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, are Congressional vote catchers. Find a way to get 218 and 51, and you can post the 180 day notices.
  by Don_

John_Perkowski wrote:Don:

218+51+1.

The one a day vitamins of 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, are Congressional vote catchers. Find a way to get 218 and 51, and you can post the 180 day notices.
That's a pathetic attitude towards Amtrak. Only about votes. Right.
  by Don_

wigwagfan wrote:
The Pioneer wasn't a "system-core" train; it did not start operation until 1977 if I recall correctly.

1975 - no Pioneer

Most any national system train online before the 1979 politically-motivated bloodbath should be considered a system train.

That was during a time when Amtrak was a REAL national system, not the skeletal system it is now.

But go ahead and bad-mouth any effort to expand trains.
Just like the leaders of this site who don't think REAL LD trains are in THEIR vision of what transportation should be.
  by Jeff Smith

Don_ wrote:

218+51+1.

My apologies for stirring up this hornet's nest with an old article. Sorry fellow enthusiasts.

Don, go have a drink. Have two. The attitude displayed by the esteemed Colonel is not pathetic, it's realistic. It IS basically about votes.
  by David Benton

The problem for politicans is that people actually like trains . They may not ride them , but try and take them away from their town / area , and youve got a fight on your hands .
  by Jishnu

wigwagfan wrote:

1975 - no Pioneer

I wonder what is the significance of this argument. There are many trains that run today which were not run by Amtrak on Amtrak Day (Lake Shore Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle), and there are others that were running back then and don't anymore (Lone Star, Floridian). Is the contention that any train that was not running on Amtrak Day in 1971 must be funded by states? Even the current apparent policy does not say so.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Don_ wrote:

218+51+1.

Sorry Don, but I too must concur with Col. Perkowski.

Votes, Votes, and Votes; that's what the LD's are all about. What is REALLY pathetic is that 'we the people", through the powers we choose to grant our elected representatives, feel compelled to pay for a system that, IMHO, should have been disbanded well before A-Day, in order to have what 21st Century passenger railroading is all about - Corridors and Commuters.
  by Don_

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Votes, Votes, and Votes; that's what the LD's are all about. What is REALLY pathetic is that 'we the people", through the powers we choose to grant our elected representatives, feel compelled to pay for a system that, IMHO, should have been disbanded well before A-Day, in order to have what 21st Century passenger railroading is all about - Corridors and Commuters.
Nope. The system should not have been disbanded.

I will only go with your contention if "the system - INCLUDING SHORT HAUL ROUTES - should have been disbanded..."

People ride trains. Amtrak's system, skeletal as it is, is carrying a record number of passengers this year.
More trains to more places = higher ridership and better travel convenience.
  by Don_

Gilbert,
Please tell me how many operating "corridors" there were on Am-Day.

One (NEC)? Maybe two?

And anyone riding the great LDs is just a dunderhead bec. according to your infinite wisdom, LD trains are unnecessary?

And anyone wanting to improve train service - LD and short distance - they're just NARP DISCIPLES who don't fit into your narrow and preconceived opinions ??????

Guess no one should ride from Denver to LA or Miami to NYC because that kind of trip doesn't fit with your narrow interests.

\
Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Don_ wrote:

218+51+1.

Sorry Don, but I too must concur with Col. Perkowski.

Votes, Votes, and Votes; that's what the LD's are all about. What is REALLY pathetic is that 'we the people", through the powers we choose to grant our elected representatives, feel compelled to pay for a system that, IMHO, should have been disbanded well before A-Day, in order to have what 21st Century passenger railroading is all about - Corridors and Commuters.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Don, in view of my following railroad industry affairs for now pushing sixty years, including eleven years on the inside 1970-81, that in the 21st century, there is no question rail passenger service has an essential role to play in the movement of people through densely populated regions where the alternative would be additional and far more costly ($$$ and environment) highway and air transport infrastructure.

Those intercity regions are known as Corridors - rail service within one such region is known as commuter service even though many of those markets are developing service away from the traditional "into the big city in the morning; back home at night' (I recall reading somewhere - likely The Times - that Metro North now handles more passengers between stations other than GCT than it does to or from GCT).

Now to address the Long Distance trains; while I have had the privilege in this life to ride the pre-1968 “great trains” - Century, Broadway, Panama, City, Super, et al, the mode of transportation they represented has clearly been supplanted in contemporary society. That there is a small group of people comprised of hobbyists, “can’t drives, won’t flys”, and in the very small universe of the general public that find the schedules convenient to their needs, does not warrant continuation of the system. However, because there is public funding “on the table” for any rail passenger service, and Federal funding for any intercity service, so also is the “ways of Washington”. The LD system is quite efficient in passing out the largess (and comparatively cheap as well) to ensure funding of the unquestionably needed Northeast Corridor, as well as the “pulling their weight’ Michigan and Empire Corridors, and the institutional expertise a national system represents so that local jurisdictions can readily sponsor passenger service should they choose. So long as the “ways of Washington” remain unchanged, the existing LD system is here to stay.

The consultant reports mandated under Public Law regarding the Pioneer and North Coast Limited have shown that there would be considerable capital costs, infrastructure and equipment, and for which questionable benefit would result. Accordingly, any further expansion of the LD system is unwarranted. In short, the existing system is doing its job; moving people in any meaningful volume to be considered a transportation resource is not one of such.

Finally, Don, you and the other "hard core' advocates (I'm willing to bet you are a NARP disciple yourself), seem to be oblivious to the burden that operating passenger trains, especially given the "priority' they are to ostensibly receive under law, can cause to Class I roads who are handling these trains at some kind of bargain basement rates. The investor owned Class I system is no longer configured to handle passenger trains; it is here to handle freight and to generate a return on investment the stakeholders have made. Although "there's talk' (isn't there about anything?) that there will be Daily service San Antonio-LA over the Sunset Route, be it assured that the Union Pacific has not committed investor capital double tracking the route El Paso-LA just so more passenger trains can be operated.

disclaimer: author holds positions in NSC, UNP.