• Strasburg Railroad - Hello Dolly Train Questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by CGRLCDR

I just watched a rerun of the 1969 movie Hello Dolly after about 30 years. It's still one of my favorite musical movies with trains. I understand that the locomotive and cars were from the Strasburg Railroad in Pennsylvania and that somehow they drove it to the Hudson River Line in NY. I have three questions:

1. By what routes did they get the train to and from the Hudson River Line? I'm guessing that it must have gone through New Jersey. It must have been a sight to see.

2. Are there any videos of the transit?

3. How did they turn the locomotive around on the Hudson River Line? There must have been a wye or turntable someplace up near Garrison I would guess.

Please let me know if you have any other information on the transit.

Thanks

CGRLCDR

PS I tried posting this on the Railroads in the Media Forum and got no response. Since Strasburg RR is in PA I thought someone here might know.
  by Ocala Mike

As to question no. 1, I found this at another website, so not responsible for the accuracy:

"The train set deadheaded via the Buffalo Line to Newberry Jct, then north on the Corning Secondary to hit the Chicago Line at Lyons. Then east to Albany then down the Hudson. I remember seeing a newspaper photo of the train as it passed through Corning, NY. By then the PRR and NYC had merged but the Pennsy fans must have been upset to see it lettered for the NYC."

Seems plausible enough.
  by JimBoylan

Helicopter shots in the movie showed the train running Southbound with the Hudson River on its Right "from New York to Yonkers". There was a loop track at Croton - Harmon for turning steam locomotives from the West.