• Strang MOW machine??

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by ic9623

I had an opertunity today to check out the progress of track replacement on the UPs ex MoPac Line through Sullivan,IL. I saw all the equipment they were using. All were very familiar except one. It was a machine that put foam down on the rails or ties. What exactly is this doing? The foam is in 2 seperate liquids and combined by the machine and put down. I looked at new track and could not see the foam other than were it splatered over the road bed and edge of the rail. Why are they using foam??

by amoreho1

better weather proofing maybe

by GOLDEN-ARM

I though Strang was just outside of Houston?............ :wink:

by CN_Hogger

A bit of a different twist on 'foamer'.....

by UPRR engineer

That foam is being used sometimes insted of tie plugs. When they rip off the rails, they shoot that foam in the hole where the spike was, then when they spike her back down, theres a better bond.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

by UPRR engineer

I've saw some other uses for that foam, wasnt too happy eather. On my old switching lead, had two beat up ties that the switch stand was spiked to. Ends were all splintered and cracked, switch stand moved in the wind. After trying to pushing on the stand to remove it completely, we turned it in. Next day, looked like they used a gallon or two of that foam to fix the problem. Not a 100% fix, good enough tho i guess.

Anyone ever kicked a car down the lead, as it passes over a switch like that one, hear and see the switch rattle around? :-D Get the most sound when the targets loose, or better yet with one bolt holding it on, or wired on.

by GN 599

On my steel gang days we used that stuff. Its an epoxy mix comes out as a liquid and like described before expands into a foam, filling the old hole in the process.

by ic9623

Thanks for the info and use of this stuff. Appreciate it guys!