Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

hi

by thebigham

Great!

Thanks,

Chris

by SemperFidelis

Wayne County Economic Development Corp. has this tidbit on thier website...

GETTING THE RAIL LINE BACK ON TRACK The train trestle in Hawley suffered extensive damage in the June ’06 flood, which added approximately $1.1 million to its repair bill. This is above and beyond the damage from the April ’05 storm. Wayne Industrial Development Authority (WIDA), which owns the trestle, has met several times with FEMA, and has submitted an application for funding. I feel very optimistic about FEMA’s response so far. This project has a high degree of interest at the Federal level and Congressional support. Restoration of the railroad is vital to our tourism industry, the Ideal Steel project, and other economic development pursuits.

by Christian S.

Hi folks,

Forgive me for asking the obvious, as I haven't been following the Stourbridge Rail Line situation and its recent developments very closely. Has the rail line reopened for train excursions yet? Were they able to get the BL2 running again? I have never been there before, but am interested in paying a visit for "Winterfest" on December 9th. It seems like a very interesting, scenic railroad. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Christian S.

by 56-57

it's running again...

got two remanufactured roots blowers, modified cylinder cocks, modified air filter housings, and washed inside and out.

by NJT Rider

Rode behind # 54 today. Engine sounded great and had a smooth ride to Hawley.

I am glad they got this engine running again.
  by ginosrailpage

Hello,

Could someone please fill me in on the Stourbridge Line's news from the past few years? The last two things I've heard were that 1, the tourist line was shutting down and 2, a bridge on the NYSW connection was out of service, pretty much cutting off an interchange...

Thanks,

Gino DiCarlo

by cjvrr

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27193

Gino,

Look at the other thread below. It has some recent history.

In a nut shell;

The tourist line stated a few years back that they could not continue under their current funding and ticket sales. A State / local tourism group stepped up and gave them additional funding to continue operations. Then...

They has some major flooding along the line, a bridge below Hawley was washed out. A legal battle then began that the local reservoir should cover the rebuild costs. Not sure what happened with that suit but the bridge was not and still has not been rebuilt.

Ceda Cog's North Shore RR was the designated operators of the line for the Lackawaxen Honesdale Shippers Association which owns the line. LHSA got it from the State of PA late 2002 / early 2003. As the other thread stated Ceda Cog is now out and they are looking for a new operator or have one picked already.

A new steel fabricating customer plans to locate on the line and restoration of the bridge and rail service is paramount to their business. I think they are saying 2007 for bridge rebuild.

Passenger excursions are supposedly still running on the line between Honesdale and Hawley.
  by mwichten

I am visiting in hawley and the hotel I am staying at is at the "end of the line". There is a very substantial gate accross the tracks on the approach to the river.

I saw a station here in Hawley and questioned what goes on with this line. Later I stopped in Honesdale at the visitor's center which has the schedule posted for the line. The line is active every Saturday with trains leaving Honesdale at 1:00 for Hawley. There is a 1hr stop over in Hawley before the return trip. There are other excursions posted for various events (fall foliage, snow train, etc.)

I am not from the area (obviously), but was intrigued by the photo of the motive power - those oddball ex-BAR units. Hopefully I will see it this saturday.

by SemperFidelis

Hawley's not the end of the line! End of the line is in Honesdale!

Either way, though, I guess the end of the line could well be defined as where the bridge was washed out...

By the by, visit the Honesdale historical society for some excellent photographic history of the gravity railroads and a nice mockup of the Stourbridge Lion.

by cjvrr

Semper,

I don't think the copy of the Lion could be called a mock up maybe a replica though. There had been plans floated a few years back that they were actually going to steam it up and run it for the 175 anniversary. it didn't pan out, but I believe that is the engine they were going to run.

Chris

by SemperFidelis

Really? I did not know that. That would have been interesting to see.

by oibu

Anyone hearing any more on the pervious reports that washouts and bridge damage are to be repaired this year?

Is th steel business still going to locate online in White Mills and revive the freight traffic or did that fall through?

by SemperFidelis

Steel supplier still locating on line, no word otherwise.

PPL has agreed to pay for the repair of the bridge as they were the ones who destroyed it (released too much water from the lake at once).

That's all the news I have.

by bwparker1

Seems like positive news, thanks for the update. These things take time...

BWP

by hsr_fan

They take time in the middle of nowhere. If that had been a Northeast Corridor bridge, I have a feeling repair work would proceed in a matter of days, rather than years!