• Stone Train 2006

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by jayrmli

Oh No! That time of the year again...when the following questions will be asked here time and time again:

Is the stone train running this weekend?
Will it run on Friday or Saturday?
What power will they use for the stone train?
Will the 156 be leading at all? I want to see the new paint job?
Will the GP10 be repurchased for stone train service?

One thing I've heard though. This year, there will be TWO stone trains per week. No details yet though.

Jay

by Long Island 7285

Will the GP10 be repaired. Maybe "paired" to a flatcar leaving Gershow. attached to the rear of the 51 or the Wb empty tillcons :wink:

by phantom

And don't forget the run through P&W power hot off the Johnson City coal trains doing the honors! The power short NY&A can't handle two stones a week! They may have to return long hood first! I guess Scrap will bid everyone of them!

by tushykushy

I think it's who you know to get what you want sometimes.

Once we asked for a long hood foward 38 on the east end haulin' the stone and the engineer at the time was very understanding of this. Was a cool sight to see.

:P

Not that it'll happen anytime soon... but having the 4 1500's (155,151,156,159) haul out the stone one day.

by badneighbor

ok.. ok.. i'll handle a few more 'foamer' questions... :wink:

1. Will NYA be using CP power on the stone trains? :P

2. Will it be running with the SW-1200s?

Did I miss any other goofy questions?

by DogBert

badneighbor wrote:ok.. ok.. i'll handle a few more 'foamer' questions... :wink:

1. Will NYA be using CP power on the stone trains? :P

2. Will it be running with the SW-1200s?

Did I miss any other goofy questions?
Yes:

3) will NY&A find and lease former LIRR c420s for the stone trains?

4) Will 35 be ready for steam to haul these trains anytime soon?

hehehe!

by Long Island 7285

I know were getting off topic to a degree. but hell, I would go nuts to see 35 or 39, heck both hauling the stone east. that would be some sight shoot it around Btower Pinelawn and many more locations.

I bet the RR would get calls both good and bad for that move. but i highy doubt it will happen.

Maybe 1556 if we get it running and equipt with ASC can haul the 60 to southould one day? if any thing like that, 1556 would be most likely of the 3 engines to get the honors to haul a freight.

And if they were ever to run the steam on the stone train, there would need to be hacks on it and it would need to be a fantrip. or a bus would need to be chartered to chase it.

by Long Island 7285

Thats the funniest thing i seen yet lol!

*Im not getting on a roll this time. I made my post, said it would be cool, know its never going to happen, (its long island) I stated something that would be a dream, joaking about NYA power.

In reality, if they ever get money to aquire new power it mostly likely will be along the lines of something they already have.

by tushykushy

I find it quite comical that some of these posters, whom are bashing "foamers" are indeed some of the biggest foamers here asking the same questions day in and day out!

Please.... this forum I think is really funny. You have a lot of colorful and funny guys who do work for NYAR who really give a good inside scoop when things come out.

It's interesting reading and seeing some of these engines fate when they have to do big jobs, such as the stone train and hearing these obscene stories (such as the 201 going up in smoke in Wyndanch.) I don't know.. it's just me but I get a good laugh hearing a 38 overheat or a 1500 spittin' out flame balls and setting brush fires.

Listen there's no way in hell 1556 is going to haul stone, let lone a steamer. They're not going to lease units specifically to haul stone. It's too predictable if there isn't sufficent power to haul stone. They'll either just run what they got or wait until they have enough power to bring it out (translation: It'll get bumped to another day.)

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure any of this out.

by badneighbor

If you can't laugh at yourself, then you are taking life too seriously. I poke fun at my own interest, and I certainly see the RR employees not understanding our interest in what many consider to be their $#%@ job. I have a job that others may seem as fun or whatever, but to me its my $%#@ job. If anyone likes there job enough to be a worker AND a foamer kudos to them!!

by tushykushy

I agree with you to some extent, BN.

I know a select few people who do work for LIRR/NYAR and think that people, such as ourselves with a decent amount of interest in what goes on in those companies think of us as "foamers," when, I'd say 95% of the time, given that they are a buff at heart, when they go and watch railroads such as CSX, CP, etc etc think it's some of the coolest shit since sliced bread, yet people working for those companies may view them as wankers.

I don't know man. A mixed freight with 2 38's during daylight hours on LI do more for me than 2 Dash 9's haulin' a stack train or auto racks.

by Long Island 7285

Any freight running on LI in broad daylight is worth a chase. its not that often to see it and be at the right place at the right time, unless you are....... not mentioning names :wink: The more oppertunity there is to see freights in day the more photos there may be for use to enjoy.
~7285~

by badneighbor

me too, the MP-15s, green paint chipped off, blackened by soot and oil, tugging the 8-10 cars along through Sayville (159 on 3/14/06 @ 345pm) is great for me. any freight on rail is a handful of trucks I don't have to deal with on Sunrise Hwy.