• Stone arch bridges

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by 3rdrail

Still is (to the best of my knowledge) - Puritan Ice Cream. You can buy their ice cream right at the factory. It may be a dead end at the RR bridge now next to the old blacksmith's, but up until recently the bridge's underpass gave access to the Arboretum's "Daisy Field". Just a few feet north of this bridge is where outbound RDC's on the Needham Branch waited on a siding for an inbound to pass before proceeding.
  by 3rdrail

Here's the bridge there as it looks now. No, this isn't Maine or New Hampshire. We're in Roslindale. This is the entrance to the Arboretum at the end of Arboretum Road. The old blacksmiths shop, here for generations, is pictured on the right. Due to it's secluded location, the local kids have taken advantage with their graffitti.

This is the vantage point inside the Arboretum's "Daisy Field" looking at the bridge. That's a Needham Branch MBCR train being pushed towards South Station on top of the bridge. 1/5th of a mile northeast of the Bussey Bridge, the Arboretum Bridge is my favorite. We used to watch New Haven Budds travel back and forth here as kids in this very tranquil setting.
  by Teamdriver

This is a nostalgic narrative of that area, mentioning that blacksmith shop. I think it might have belonged to the Deangelis that had a shop on Brookley Rd Forest Hills, which did wrought iron fence work. That street abuts the T car barns.

http://www.roslindalema.com/news.asp?n=738
  by 3rdrail

High TD ! Thanks for bringing us that article. It's written by a friend of mine, Joe Moscaritolo, and since he is older, it's nice to have his memory down in writing as I cloudily share most of the same ones. I grew up almost accross the street from Arboretum Road next to the Tollgate Bridge. I was surprised to see the blacksmiths boarded up when I was down there yesterday. It had been active up until fairly recently. I don't know if it's the same owner as the Brookley Rd. one in JP (Brookley was Lotus Place of which the Arborway's Car Shops were named). Rozzie was a true "streetcar suburb", populated in large part to BERY's Forest Hills Extension and extended car lines up Washington St. and Hyde Park Ave. Few realize that the end of the El was actually in Rozzie and not JP as most believe, although at that point it was almost street level. As I waited for a Needham train to pass by on the bridge yesterday, standing in the Arboretum's "Daisy Field", I imagined what it must have been like more than one-hundred years ago at that same spot, hearing repetitive loud explosions 1000 feet south as the D.B.Torrey, locomotive to the ill-fated train in the Bussey Bridge wreck, raced by with only it's tender, steadily blowing it's whistle as a call for assistance as it crossed the Arboretum Road Bridge on it's way to Forest Hills.
  by LLPX2032

rjgrubin wrote:
http://rjgrubin.rrpicturearchives.net/s ... ?id=255843
I like this shot, rjgrubin. It's great how that low, narrow bridge makes that GP38 look massive! :-D

My contribution:

Bridge that carried the Eastern Railroad over Friedenfels St. in Salisbury, MA. Easy to get to, right off of Route 1 near the Merrimack River.

Re:

by necr3849

Lincoln78 wrote:The "tunnel" of Tunnel Road in Vernon, CT is a stone arch bridge under the Hop River Line (Willimantic to Manchester) rail to trail. It's about a half mile south of I-84 exit 66

I bet the builders (late 1800's) never envisioned today's traffic and how it is affected by this single lane tunnel.
Yeah, how it affects the yuppies around there... Surprised they don't protest to take it down even though it's protected. Anyway, I was born in the Rockville section of Vernon and worked the area until moving to ME in 2005. There was a tradition here at night that opposing drivers would knock down their headlights to whoever was passing through so they wouldn't be blinded from the angle of the cars pulling up. It was that way in the early 90s and still is with natives. Makes for some good horn echo, too. Here's a good link for a quick read about the tunnel.....

http://www.vernonct.com/tunnel.htm

There is also a somewhat small but cool tunnel under PAR's main near the Veazie/ Bangor, ME line. A little more modern perhaps, but nice that this one is it is still active.....

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 210218.jpg

J Bray
  by BostonUrbEx

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=4 ... 44,,0,1.78

Anyone have info on this bridge in Melrose? I see it every so often and it just boggles my mind every time to think that this still exists. I'm glad it's still here, of course, it's impressive to me! But the fact it wasn't ripped out and replaced with a boring solid piece of metal atop 2 concrete retaining walls amazes me, I mean look how narrow it is! :)
  by trainsinmaine

That is tiny. Notice the sign on the right side of the street, and you realize the bridge can't be a whole lot taller.

I know of several very small arch bridges and underpasses in eastern New York state, barely sizeable enough to accommodate a sedan, much less a commercial truck.