• Stillwells in Boston?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by ExCon90

Sorry if this has already been dealt with elsewhere, but if it has I haven't found it. I have an idea that I've seen a photo of ex-NYW&B Stillwells in locomotive-hauled suburban service on the New Haven out of Boston after the W&B ceased operation. Did that ever happen? For that matter, did the Stillwells have conventional knuckle couplers?
  by Statkowski

Yes, it has been discussed before, but that's immaterial.

The New Haven owned 50 of the NYW&B's cars, and reclaimed them when the road ceased operation. They were rebuilt at the Readville shops into steam-heated, locomotive-hauled coaches with the center doors removed and replaced with windows.

All NYW&B Stillwells had standard couplers.
  by chnhrr

Here is a pic from the previous posting on the subject showing a unit retrofitted for Boston service. Photo is originally from the book New Haven Power.
  by ExCon90

Whew! -- what a relief. After I made the post I thought wait a minute -- what about heating, lighting, steps (assuming the cars were built without steps), but apparentlhy they got a good going over at Readville. Thanks to both of you for replying.
  by Noel Weaver

These cars had steps at the ends, I have a movie of a NYW&B train using them. The platforms on the Harlem River Branch of the New Haven did not have high platforms.
Noel Weaver
  by ExCon90

Noel, thanks for that. I just assumed the whole system had high-level platforms.
  by Statkowski

ExCon90 wrote:I just assumed the whole system had high-level platforms.
Well, the NYW&B trackage had high-level platforms. The NYNH&H trackage (over which the NYW&B operated) did not. Harlem River Terminal had a mixture of both.