Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Terminal Proceed

Mark Ginocchio
Staff Writer

Published October 18 2005

It is Metro-North Railroad's nerve center -- where every train entering and exiting Grand Central Terminal is tracked by a set of blinking lights and the booming yells of railroad employees.

Inside the Rail Traffic Control Center, the mood is urgent and stressful.

Train "1526 is 12 late out of Bridgeport," a voice announces over the sound of clacking computer keyboards, a ringing phone and a communications radio.

"Our job is a lot like a crossword puzzle," says James Fahey, general chairman of rail traffic controllers. "Some people can do them, and some people can't. Some people just can't handle the stress."

The Rail Traffic Control Center in an undisclosed office in Grand Central is the home of some of Metro-North's most battle-tested workers. Having ice water in your veins seems to be a prerequisite for employment.

"We're responsible for everything -- customers, police, trains, everything," says Fahey, who has worked in the control center since 1983. "People who work here need to be able to multitask and handle six or seven things or three or four conversations at once."

In the semicircular control center, the vast white walls feel sterile. The 25 employees are lined up at elongated desks that follow the crescent-shaped contour of the room.

The most striking feature is the large electronic board on the northern wall. It shows a series of lines and dots representing every tunnel and platform in Metro-North's network from Grand Central to Waterbury.

The dots flash orange to show the trains are idled. When the lights change to green, the train is in transit.

Above the control center is the situation room, where all the railroad's top officials meet and coordinate during emergencies.

"Something can happen in an instant," Fahey says.

It could be a major catastrophe, such as the August 2003 blackout or the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, or a lower-profile incident such as when someone or something lands on the tracks, Fahey says.

Rail traffic controllers rely on information from the railroad's radio system, and phone calls and flaggings from other employees, he says. From there, traffic controllers must make split-second decisions, such as whether to cut power to the third rail.

The right response could save lives, Fahey says. As a result, most rail traffic controllers take great pride in their work. A few years ago, at employees' requests, the job title was changed from train dispatcher to rail traffic controller, to make the name match the job, he says.

"People would hear train dispatcher and think of a bus dispatcher, just sending buses out, but we do more than that," Fahey says. "People don't realize that we steer the trains. They may think it's the engineers, but we're the ones who actually steer the trains."

Almost all employees who work in the center have a few years of experience at some other Metro-North department. It helps to make the transition easier because the worker knows railroad protocol, he says.

What's the most stressful time of a normal day? The answer depends on whether the rail traffic controller works the morning or evening rush.

"Some guys will say it's harder getting something out of a pop bottle and others will say it's harder getting something into a pop bottle," Fahey says, referring to the rush of trains that enter Grand Central in the morning and leave at night.

And while the job is always stressful, those who last beyond the initial "sink or swim" phase usually are glad they did, Fahey says.

"Once they stick around long enough to lose the fear, they love the job," he says.

Copyright © 2005, Southern Connecticut Newspapers, Inc.

by MNRR_RTC

I love my job. :-D

by NJD8598

Here's a link to the story, theres a pretty good pic of the control center too (sometimes they take them down after 1 day if you cant see it). The article was good, I like this series about Metro North they've been doing.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/scn-sa- ... -headlines
  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

Thats a nice shot of the OCC room. Funny, the PA RTC DESK is all the way on the other side of the room by the District E/F/G of the New Haven. too bad u can see the PA operator on duty in that pic. i wonder if it was me..................

DROP PANTOGRAPH AND
GO ON D.C. POWER!!!
MILEPOST 14.9 BETWEEN MOUNT VERNON EAST AND PELHAM

by checkthedoorlight

working in Metro North's RTC would be my dream job. The more and more I study the system (scheduling, track assignments, strategic deadheading, and just how in the heck they manage to pull 50 trains in and 25 trains out of GCT between 8-9AM, not to mention the GCT yard moves that can block the bridges) the more fascinated I become by it. I've noticed little tricks like leaving tracks 28, 39, 106 and 108 unassigned all day just incase a train enters/leaves late and needs a better platform path, having 1244 turn into 1275 rather than having to send out two deadheads, or using one of the SLE sets on the Waterbury line during the middle of the day while the main set refuels that even the most avid railfan would neither notice or care about. I was just thinking this morning as I rode an Amtrak train southbound from New London to Stamford (usually I only travel between GCT and Stamford, but I had some family business to attend to overnight) about how they were handling track 4 being out between Milford and Bridgeport, and then track 1 being out between Bridgeport and Sono, as well as wondering when the heck the new interlocking just west of Southport was going to activate!

Of course, this isn't a job for everybody. and GETTING this dream job is much more difficult than just walking in and filling out an application. Seems like the only way to get in is to ALREADY be doing RTC work on another railroad.

Hey, did any of you happen to be the people at the RTC table at the CH open house? I had a couple nice long chats with them, and they were very friendly and didn't freak out with all the technical questions I was asking them.

by MNRR_RTC

Being an RTC, like any other railroad job, has it's good and bad points. The one thing I like about it is that no 2 days are alike. I work the New Haven Line and any one here who works there knows it is a busy job. It makes my 8 hours fly. My first day as a qualified, I had the wire come down on me during the rush hour. An hour after that happened, it was reported that I also had broken rail. Needless to say, it was baptism by fire. You need to have thick skin and a sense of humor to work as an RTC. All the responsibility falls on me during the 8 hours that I work, so I do the best job I can to make it go smoothly. If my day ends with out having to write a statement or pee in a cup, to me, it is all good. :wink: